Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FX 6929 Aveling Porter Steam Roller.

3 posters

Go down

FX 6929 Aveling Porter Steam Roller. Empty FX 6929 Aveling Porter Steam Roller.

Post  nowtelse2do Sun 31 May 2015, 8:43 pm

Hi, newbie here.

Not sure if this is the right place to post but here goes. A couple of years ago I sent an email twice to the Old Glory Mag asking them if they were intrested in a short story and a few photo's of the above titled Steam Roller FX 6929, I never recieved a reply.
A few months later I tried again, waited a few weeks and still no reply so thought bu$$er you. (Why ask for stories and don't bother to reply?)

I have tried to search and see if the steam engine is still around after all these years, but to no avail, so does any of you members know any better. There is a photo of FX6932 in the Vintage Spirit, page 19, in issue 78 January 2009 and owned or driven by a Philip Tracey and a Paul Whittington.

FX6929 was 1st registered in Dorchester to The Steam Milling Co Ltd and it says No98, I don't know what year. There are about 5 photo's of my uncle Cyril who was the driver with the road crew, his wife my aunty Katie and their 4 children (my cousins) who lived in a van which the roller pulled. Aunty Katie became pregnant with her 5th child and said she would not bring another child up in the van. The photo's are taken up in the Darlington area during the middle to late 1930's and uncle Cyril was a contract driver for a firm called "James" Road Construction, he also worked for Balfor's for a time

Uncle Cyril became the main engine man for one of the largest cotton mills in lancashire called Ross Mill and there is a photo of him with the engine winding drum.

I'm in contact with Andrew Mawdsley in Lancashire who own's FX6996 but info is hard to find, so if anyone knows anything about FX6929 steam roller and want's photo of it and of my aunt and uncle, please get in touch.

Dave.

nowtelse2do

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2015-05-31

Whittington 95 likes this post

Back to top Go down

FX 6929 Aveling Porter Steam Roller. Empty Re: FX 6929 Aveling Porter Steam Roller.

Post  bjwlancashire Mon 22 Jun 2015, 5:29 pm

You would be better trying on Traction Talk forum, there are a lot of very knowledgeable people on there.

http://www.tractiontalkforum.com/index.php
bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Number of posts : 938
Registration date : 2010-09-07

Back to top Go down

FX 6929 Aveling Porter Steam Roller. Empty Re: FX 6929 Aveling Porter Steam Roller.

Post  nowtelse2do Tue 23 Jun 2015, 7:11 pm

Thanks for the link bjw. Will try that.

Dave

nowtelse2do

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2015-05-31

Whittington 95 likes this post

Back to top Go down

FX 6929 Aveling Porter Steam Roller. Empty Owner of fx 6932

Post  Whittington 95 Tue 14 Sep 2021, 10:29 pm

Hello Dave. Thank you for the information regarding the engine fx6932 built in 1901. This is owned by my dad. I would very much be interested in seeing some photos of it. Do you have a email I could contact you on?

Whittington 95

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2021-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down