Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Timing affecting runnig on air

4 posters

Go down

Timing affecting runnig on air Empty Timing affecting runnig on air

Post  AlfieMoon Mon 04 Jul 2022, 5:10 pm

Gradually getting there. Ran the engine on air after making an adaptor for the water clacker valve intake to take std air line, left side of boiler.
Had number leaks around side plates to cylinder. Noted them with small bottle of hand pump spray containing soapy water. Stripped down and installed gaskets and grease.

However sealed all leaks I saw first time round, but have a small problem engine runs in forward and reverse, fine at 50psi. But keeps going when I closed the regulator ?
Can stop it by moving the reverser to mid position. Does this mean the regulator needs adjusting?

Also the big end bolts work loose on the HP side. Have people used the thread lock on them or a half lock nut to resolve this problem?

Regards Peter

AlfieMoon

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2018-10-18

Back to top Go down

Timing affecting runnig on air Empty Re: Timing affecting runnig on air

Post  LiveSteam Mon 04 Jul 2022, 9:45 pm

Everything changes when on steam compared to air, sounds like the regulator puck may need either tweaking or bedding in, although as I mentioned everything changes when its on steam. Certainly I wouldnt worry about any minor leaks.

LiveSteam

Number of posts : 778
Registration date : 2013-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Lynn@STW Tue 05 Jul 2022, 11:12 am

Hi

Please do not get hung up on issues when running on air. As previously noted everything changes with steam. On my own engine she would not run at all on air but ran sweet on a whisper of steam all the way up to full running pressure.

Lynn@STW

Number of posts : 167
Registration date : 2017-07-19

http://www.steamtractionworld.co.uk

LiveSteam likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  moztech Mon 25 Jul 2022, 11:38 pm

We had a similar problem when we first ran our Foden on steam with the regulator letting by.

After trying a few things, on the suggestion of a friend experienced with full-size engines, we placed a thin gasket between the cylinder block and the regulator plate which has significantly improved this for us. Your mileage may vary.

moztech

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2019-02-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down