Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kit 17 - Differential

Go down

Kit 17 - Differential Empty Kit 17 - Differential

Post  milford59 Thu 04 Nov 2021, 6:00 pm

My belly tank kit has not yet been started and the differential kit arrived a couple of weeks ago so I thought I would crack on with that whilst I get myself psyched up for the belly tank !!

Kit 17 - Differential 01b03210

There was a lot of fettling needed on the diff lock ring with the locating prongs, the slots in the bevel gear and the diff lock selector. These must all move as smoothly as possible when you are dry-fitting. If they don’t then I am sure that you will never get the diff to lock if and when you need it. The selector handle is quite small so there’s no way you will get the prongs to slide into position if they are anything other than a perfect fit. The compensating centre bush needed a fair bit of work to get it to fit over the bevel gear shaft, and the prongs needed to be filed down about 4mm so that they didn’t poke through the bevel gear when the diff is in the unlocked position.

Kit 17 - Differential D4249510
Kit 17 - Differential E9a92010

I decided to paint some of these parts, and now that I know they all fit nicely, I will take them all off and pack them away for the time being while I work on some other parts - I haven’t test fitted the tender yet. I might do that soon.

Kit 17 - Differential 0b531110

milford59

Number of posts : 307
Registration date : 2019-05-19

Mutleybob likes this post

Back to top Go down