Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Water Bowser

4 posters

Go down

Water Bowser Empty Water Bowser

Post  Nigel Fri 20 Aug 2021, 5:53 pm

Hi all
Thought i would chart my progress with a Water Bower build, Despite being only 8 months into a 4" Showman's build, I understand I'm the only Showman's Build in the New batch, but somebody has to be. Smile
I ordered my water Bowser once STW announced they were doing a batch, as although I don't need it now, I'm not sure when the next batch would be.

First off checked all the parts off with the packing list, all ok as usual, Parts to the usual very high standard.
Cleaned all the wheel spokes and spring leaves up, Spring leaves were very rusty, but think this is from the tempering process, but they clean up ok.
I've laid out the parts for the wheel assembly, I've built both up, but not glued yet, I'm already to do the first thing tomorrow ready to clean up tomorrow evening.

Water Bowser 20210812
Water Bowser 20210813
Water Bowser 20210814
Water Bowser 20210815

Nigel

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2020-10-19

Chloe123 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Water Bowser Empty Re: Water Bowser

Post  lynnr Fri 20 Aug 2021, 9:05 pm

Hi

You should be in the build photo section. Dean or Will should be able to move you.

lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Nigel Sun 22 Aug 2021, 10:17 am

Hi

Thanks Lynn wasn't sure where to post.

wheels now all glued up and cleaned ready for paint, not much more to say on this, will be a couple of weeks before paint as currently painting my latest 4" Showman's rear wheel.

Water Bowser 20210816

Nigel

tef 20 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Will@STW Mon 23 Aug 2021, 12:53 pm

Hi Nigel

I have had to make a new forum area as we have never had a water bowser or trailer section before (and really we should). So I have done so and moved your thread into here.

Many thanks

Will@STW
Will@STW
Will@STW

Number of posts : 196
Registration date : 2019-01-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Nigel Mon 23 Aug 2021, 1:39 pm

Hi Will

Thanks for this.

Nigel

Back to top Go down

Post  Nigel Mon 06 Sep 2021, 8:25 pm

Hi All
Bit more progress, wheels now painted all 7 of them!!, 1 Traction Engine Rear, 4 wagon and 2 water bowser.

Water Bowser 20210817
Water Bowser 20210910

Nigel

Back to top Go down

Post  Nigel Mon 11 Oct 2021, 7:17 pm

Hi

Second Kit arrived last week, but as I was away only got it today, looks impressive, will start cleaning up the chassis rails later.
I also need to do a mod to the tank before I assemble it, I plan to fit clinch nuts to the inside for the mounting bracket so I can bolt on the supports after its painted,
Think it was Lynn who suggested this mod, but with the nuts tack welded on the inside, I don't do welding hence the clinch nuts.
Will post photo of this later this week

Water Bowser 20211013

Nigel

Back to top Go down

Post  Nigel Tue 12 Oct 2021, 1:53 pm

Hi

Photo to show the clinch nuts as fitted, this will enable me to fix the support brackets after painting.

Water Bowser 20211014

Nigel

Back to top Go down

Post  Nigel Fri 15 Oct 2021, 8:12 pm

Hi

I've now assembled the chassis, I cut the seat off as I will be using the seat attached to the back of my Showman's, Thought I would try the springs and wheels, all looks very good.

I plan to have the chassis powder coated.

Water Bowser 20211015

I couldn't resist trying with the tank on, looking very impressive.

Water Bowser 20211016

Started to assemble the tank, one end on and bottom joint strip, will hopefully do some more over weekend.

Nigel

Back to top Go down

Post  Nigel Sun 17 Oct 2021, 7:53 pm

Hi

Started to assemble the tank, one thing I have noticed regarding the filler neck, there is a counter sink hole in the tank top where the hinge block mounts, I've fitted a counter sink screw (M3 x 10) from my own stock , but I can find no mention in the instructions about this, perhaps Will can advise about this.

Water Bowser 20211017

One more point is anybody else building a water bowser, I can't be the only one, please post with your progress.

Nigel

Back to top Go down

Post  Will@STW Mon 18 Oct 2021, 10:55 am

Hi Nigel

Looking at the drawings it is a little confusing as to why you have a countersunk hole there. I would guess that a countersunk hole was originally put there as the hinge block sits quite low in relation to the barrel, so there was probably the question of whether or not the rivet bolt would fit underneath the hinge block. But looking at the control model it does just about fit a rivet bolt under the hinge block, so the countersink would have been removed from the CAD model and packing list which appears to be the case, however the note was not deleted off the drawing, so the countersink still gets put in. I believe the they rectified the problem on the control model by putting the flange on the outside of the barrel, but obviously that could cause some hole misalignment's.

Many thanks

Will
Will@STW
Will@STW

Number of posts : 196
Registration date : 2019-01-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Nigel Mon 18 Oct 2021, 7:27 pm

Hi Will

Thanks for this, It was the counter sink in the tank that confused me, Hence why I fitted a counter sink screw.

Nigel

Back to top Go down

Post  Nigel Sun 07 Nov 2021, 4:12 pm

Hi all

Not much progress, Filled up the tank to check for leaks found a couple now sorted, Decided to have the filler lid plated, found a plater near me, very impressed.

Water Bowser 20211111

Nigel

lynnr likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Nigel Sat 01 Jan 2022, 7:31 pm

Hi all
Happy New year to you all.
Well over the holiday I've painted and lined the tank, I added a water level gauge, Had to move the tank back about 10mm for this to clear.
Will mount in the frame tomorrow and see how it all looks, but very impressed with it so far,
I have revised the drain tap and fitted a hose connector and a pipe run will photo and show in next couple of days.
Part of the beauty of all these kits is how as builders we add our own little touches to make our builds individual.

Water Bowser 20220110

Nigel

tef 20 and Mutleybob like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Nigel Sun 02 Jan 2022, 1:55 pm

Hi all
Please see photo below of the additional pipe work, This will allow me to get water to the front without having to put the pickup hose in the tank.

Water Bowser 20220111

Water Bowser all completed, Very impressed with this kit, just need to finish off my Engine build only 2 more years to go.

Water Bowser 20220113

Nigel

tef 20 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Burrell_in_Sussex Mon 03 Jan 2022, 12:24 pm

That's a neat solution for getting the water supply to the front. I'm thinking about putting an Essex cylinder flange in the small cover plate on the bottom so that I can keep the tap on the rear. As the tank is so high I wondered if I could get a usable tray under the tank for coal storage.

Burrell_in_Sussex

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2019-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down