Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another New Showmans

+5
LiveSteam
Mark the spark
Midwest Steam
lynnr
Nigel
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Another New Showmans - Page 2 Empty Re: Another New Showmans

Post  Nigel Sat 27 Mar 2021, 2:35 pm

Hi Thanks
Top coat is not the problem, wait till you start the lining Laughing , I tried the Finesse tape and didn't get on with it,
As the other's have said practice, I did the inside faces first and again I got better with the outside ones.
The lines were done with a Bulger lining pen, found it on E-bay 1/2 price, again bit of practice, but found it easy to use.
Also found the Oneshot paints very good for the lines, Would recommend this.

Nigel

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2020-10-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Nigel Fri 02 Apr 2021, 4:02 pm

Hi All

Latest progress, I'm now all worked up until the next kit, will give me a chance to tidy up!!.
I did remember to put the collar inside the perch bracket before I bolted it to the smokebox.

Another New Showmans - Page 2 20210410

Nigel

Back to top Go down

Post  Simon C Tue 06 Apr 2021, 6:54 am

Hi Nigel
Pretty looking paintwork sir.
Just by way of a heads up, the pin that holds the smokebox door on will become captive once the dynamo extension is fitted.
The smoke box door does not open to a full 90 deg as it hits the curve on the extension, a real knuckle smasher when brushing the tubes.
I put the pin in from the bottom and secure it with an R clip, that way I can remove the door when doing my cleaning.

Simon C (a full roofer)
Simon C
Simon C

Number of posts : 303
Registration date : 2017-07-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Nigel Tue 06 Apr 2021, 3:55 pm

Hi Simon, Yes was a where about the pin have seen it mentioned on here before, but thanks anyway.

I've done the mod see below, I've also modified the front wheel collar, wasn't sure about the pin only being retained by the hub cap, so fitted a grub screw to hold the pin.

Another New Showmans - Page 2 20210411

Nigel

Back to top Go down

Post  Nigel Sun 13 Jun 2021, 8:06 pm

Hi all, not posted for a while been busy, Kit 3A arrived Smokebox extension, no real issues, still working on the dynamo painting.

Another New Showmans - Page 2 Extent10

I also ordered a water bowser kit and said I would be interested in a 4" Agricultural wagon when the next batch was available,
Then a week later Rosemary rang and said she had a wagon kit for me!!.

Kit 4 arrived this week, made a very good start over the last 2 days, I'm in isolation as wife going into hospital Tuesday so we are not allowed visitors or to go out.
Must say impressed with this kit although it's heavy!!, managed to get it together, all glued and riveted, bit of filling to sort then ready for painting, that will be an interesting challenge.

Another New Showmans - Page 2 20210610

Nigel

Mark the spark likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Nigel Fri 06 Aug 2021, 9:38 pm

Hi all

Progress a bit slow at the moment, Did manage to paint the rear wheel , lining almost finished, just need to add the Red lines.
Latest kit is the Tender as the second wheel kit is awaiting parts, Made a start as photo below, did have trouble getting the back to fit correctly but managed to sort in the end, although I did strip the threads on some of the M3 rivet's, but Will is very kindly sending me some.
Another New Showmans - Page 2 20210810

Another New Showmans - Page 2 20210811

Nigel

LiveSteam likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB Mon 18 Oct 2021, 9:44 am

Its really looking good, paintwork is excellent.
I'm still playing catch up. Working on the axle / perch bracket at the moment while I wait to get an issue with the smokebox sorted, do you have any pictures of the grease nipple mod you did ? It sounds like a good idea to do these things as I go along.

DaveB

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2020-10-31

Back to top Go down

Post  Nigel Mon 18 Oct 2021, 6:01 pm

Hi
If you look towards the top on this thread on the photo of the perch bracket you can just see the grease nipple, I drilled through the rear hole of the perch bracket and tapped a thread to suit a grease nipple I purchased, think mine were M6.

Nigel

Back to top Go down

Post  Nigel Thu 24 Mar 2022, 6:27 pm

Hi all, Well got my Showman's boiler today, looks like I'm going to be busy for a few weeks, at least I have something to fit all the bit's I've been collecting for the last year. Must say looks very good.

Another New Showmans - Page 2 20220310
Another New Showmans - Page 2 20220311

Nigel

LiveSteam, Mark the spark, milford59 and Mutleybob like this post

Back to top Go down

Another New Showmans - Page 2 Empty Lots of progress later

Post  Nigel Sun 17 Sep 2023, 5:17 pm

Hi All

Not done many update sorry, But today was a great milestone, steamed up for the first time, Got the wife to lit the first fire, few more jobs on the job list, but all in all very good day, well done to STW and your superb kits, yes we have had a few hic ups along the way, but as always customer support was superb, Thanks to Dean and the team.

Nigel

LiveSteam and Merv.p like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2