Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reversing Lever Positions

2 posters

Go down

Reversing Lever Positions Empty Reversing Lever Positions

Post  andyfletch Mon 16 Nov 2020, 6:36 pm

Hi all, looking for some help please.

Today I have fitted the reversing rod and lever, all working quite smoothly. However the problem is when i come to mark the notches in the quadrant. The instructions say pull lever to full forward position and then turn engine over and the lever will kick back. I have done this but the lever does not kick back. The lever is a far forward as it will go - actually the bottom of the expansion link is touching the boiler band - and it stays there as it turns over. If i put the lever in the middle whilst turning engine over, it will pull the lever to the full forward position. In full reverse the lever does kick forward, although it moves about quite a bit so I am unsure where to cut the notch.

any help appreciated

regards

Andy
andyfletch
andyfletch

Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2008-06-21

Back to top Go down

Reversing Lever Positions Empty Re: Reversing Lever Positions

Post  lynnr Tue 17 Nov 2020, 12:01 pm

Hi

First take off the valve chest covers. This makes getting the ends a bit easier.

The linkage is very close to the cleading. On Crystal I cut the thread off the pin and left of the nut. Screwed the pin in and cross wired it in place. This allowed cleading clearance. Others have put a dimple in the cleading.

Put the reverser in full forward position even if it bumps against the mounting bracket for the quadrant. Make sure the spindle and nuts do not impact the front of the valve chest cavity while swinging the crank 360. (I dremeled a shallow divet in the surface of the valve chest). Mark the lever position.
do the same for full reverse on the lever.

Some have also put a flat on the quadrant spacers to allow the leaver to move further forward. You can also wind the spindles out a few threads at the expansion link bearings and lock off. (I did this on Crystal) to get the reverser lever a bit further back. But you only have a very small window of adjustment here.

Checking.

Put the crank HP in forward top dead centre. HP Crank big end pin fully forward. See where the valves sit.
Put the crank HP in backward top dead centre. HP Crank big end pin full backward to the manstand. See where the valves sit.
You need a couple mm between the nuts and the valve cavity sides, also on full back you need to allow for the boiler expansion as well. A few mm there as well.

To get mid gear. You balance the movement of the valve pucks over the slots to get the least movement. With Stevenson gear it is all a compromise between settings. But get the best openings for forward gear. As obviously it is the most used.
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Reversing Lever Positions Empty Re: Reversing Lever Positions

Post  andyfletch Tue 17 Nov 2020, 1:09 pm

Thanks Lynn
I’ll look at this over next couple of days and let you know how it goes
Andy
andyfletch
andyfletch