Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mods to the Reversing Lever

2 posters

Go down

Mods to the Reversing Lever Empty Mods to the Reversing Lever

Post  Jim the Shovel Sat 14 Oct 2017, 8:56 pm

I was having a problem with the reversing lever in that when in full forward the lever was hitting the
spacer between the quadrant and was not getting enough travel.
It also didn't seem right that when the lever was in reverse it was in the centre of the quadrant.
This can be seen below.
Mods to the Reversing Lever 20171013

I first thought of making the reach rod adjustable but this would end up a bit bulky and may end up with
problems at the curved end were it passes over the second shaft. So I opted to move the reach rod
hole in the reversing lever. I cut a triangle out of the reversing lever which included the existing hole.
A new lug was then butt welded in and drilled 1/2" from the centre of the reversing lever.
Mods to the Reversing Lever 20171010

The lever now moves fully forward and have full travel in the expansion link.
Mods to the Reversing Lever 20171011

With the lever in full reverse was then able to determine the neutral position which ended up centre of the quadrant.
There's now about 1" spare at each end of the quadrant and now looks right instead of it being all at one end.
Mods to the Reversing Lever 20171012

I really must get on with the build instead of changing things. It'll never get finished this way.
Jim the Shovel
Jim the Shovel

Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2015-06-30

Back to top Go down

Mods to the Reversing Lever Empty Re: Mods to the Reversing Lever

Post  Simon B Sun 22 Oct 2017, 11:11 pm

Hi Jim

I had a similar problem, After filing the slots in line with he drawing on assembly the leaver would not go into the back two reversing slots and when in forward it hit the stop before fully open. In the end I took the pin out of the lever bracket on the boiler, put the reversing lever to the mid position slot and drilled a second hole to reinsert the pin, problem solved and with the motion guards fitted you can't really tell that there is a redundant hole.

I think my problem began when I fitted the horn plates as the dimension specified from the jig to the face of the boiler was ~5mm bigger than stated, I spoke to Steve at the time and concluded that this would not be an issue.

Cheers

Simon
Simon B
Simon B

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2014-01-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim the Shovel Mon 23 Oct 2017, 4:35 pm

Hi Simon

I was wondering if that was the reason because mine was also over length. I slotted the horn plate holes slightly and gained a bit, but didn't like doing it. I plugged up the holes with some metal epoxy stuff to take up the play in the slots. Oh well, looks like we've both overcome the problem in different ways. Yours being the simpler. Typical me finding the harder solution.

Thanks for your input

Jim
Jim the Shovel
Jim the Shovel

Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2015-06-30

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down