Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lyka S2 Batch 2 King pins & Brake band adhesive

2 posters

Go down

Lyka S2 Batch 2 King pins & Brake band adhesive Empty Lyka S2 Batch 2 King pins & Brake band adhesive

Post  IanL Fri 22 May 2020, 3:24 pm

I have found that if I tighten the dome nuts on to the king pins they do not reach through the bottom jaw, they are about 4mm short which means I cannot tighten the bottom washer. without the whole thing locking up. At the moment I have left the bottom washer and bolt off, As they cannot come out due to the grub screw.

Clearly this is not how it is meant to be, any suggestions.

I am looking at fixing the brake band the instructions say contact adhesive, what brand have you found works. I am intending to fit some countersunk brass set screws to back up the glue.

Many thanks
Ian
IanL
IanL

Number of posts : 437
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Lyka S2 Batch 2 King pins & Brake band adhesive Empty King Pin Assembly

Post  Grier Fri 22 May 2020, 8:22 pm

Ian, the way I see the assembly of the king pin is that the Dome nut and the bottom washer are there as a stop for the king pin to not fall out if the grub screw fixing fails. When you assemble the king pin it needs to protrude below the stub axle so that the fixed washer can rotate and clear the bottom of the stub axle (and use removable Loctite on the threads). The Dome nut is also supposed to have the freedom to rotate with the king pin. I screwed the dome nut down to the surface of the stub axle and then backed it off a bit and fixed it with removable thread locker. The king pin really becomes part of the stub axle by the grub screw fixing (again use thread locker). You can really call the dome nut and the washer as dust shields and a fail safe. The dome nut does not fully thread on either.

When I did mine, I assembled the king pin and then found the flat on the king pin by screwing in the grub screw just a bit until I could find the upper and lower lips of the flat. Then I centered the flat as best I could before final tightening.

One important issue that I had was that the cup dust shield was too deep for the thrust bearing. The inside cup depth needs to be slightly less than the overall thickness (stack) dimension of the thrust bearing. This assures that the stub axle is rotating on the thrust bearing and not grinding away at the dust cup lip.

Lastly I used Gorilla Heavy Duty Construction Adhesive for the emergency band. It comes in a caulking type tube.
You can see it here: Kit # 7 Part 1

Grier

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2015-05-15

Back to top Go down

Lyka S2 Batch 2 King pins & Brake band adhesive Empty Re: Lyka S2 Batch 2 King pins & Brake band adhesive

Post  IanL Sat 23 May 2020, 3:16 pm

Thank you for your description of the king pin. I thought that may be the appropriate way to do it. I had no issue with the dust cap depth and bearing it worked straight out of the box!

Thanks also for the adhesive suggestion I will look to see were in the UK I can get some( lockdown means limited access to hardware stores.)
IanL
IanL

Number of posts : 437
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Lyka S2 Batch 2 King pins & Brake band adhesive Empty Re: Lyka S2 Batch 2 King pins & Brake band adhesive

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down