Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rear wheel Brake band run out

4 posters

Go down

Rear wheel Brake band run out Empty Rear wheel Brake band run out

Post  BurrellSimplicity Mon 26 Aug 2019, 1:43 pm

While building the rear wheels we have notice the brake band is not concentric to the hub center / axle (i know it will never be spot on building wheels like this)

Do any current owners have trouble with the brakes being intermittent when on a road run for example and needing to apply the brakes?

I'm planning on machining mine concentric on the Bridgeport once assembled i think to take this error out!..

BurrellSimplicity

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2019-04-29

Back to top Go down

Rear wheel Brake band run out Empty Re: Rear wheel Brake band run out

Post  lynnr Mon 26 Aug 2019, 2:49 pm

Hi

Wheel brakes are used mostly for parking.
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post  BurrellSimplicity Mon 26 Aug 2019, 2:58 pm

Well the road runs I do Lynn involve very steep hills and constant use of the brakes. So steep that the fly wheel brake needs to be used in conjunction with the brakes on 6” Burrell I 2nd man on.
A 4” Mack does the same run and he also uses his brakes.

I’ll just machine mine then as it’s a case by case situation.
Also a bit disappointed in the rims. One has a machined fillet around the edge and the other does not so I need to fill one wheel! The thickness of the wheel rim also changes around the diameter Of the wheel by a fair bit. I’ve already sent a wheel back and I still have problems with them.

BurrellSimplicity

Back to top Go down

Post  Willsy Wed 28 Aug 2019, 9:45 pm

Hi
My Father and I put our back wheels on the boring machine to true the brake bands, in my opinion it’s a job worth doing.
We also have lots of hills around us and I feel the wheel brakes are very important as they should be the first thing to be applied when going down hill followed by the flywheel brake, pulling back the reverser would be a last resort!
I do think stw have done a good job machining the brake bands but it would be impossible to get them concentric with the hub being in kit form.

Kind regards

Willsy

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2014-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Watson Thu 29 Aug 2019, 4:34 pm

Not sure how true the hind wheel brakes are on Frederick, but they are essential for high speed road running in high wheel, where the three-shaft open-rods arrangement means that there is very little ‘holding’ available from the engine. They are greatly improved by adding brake pad material (the same as used on the Likamobile). On the long runs we have done, I have only occasionally used the flywheel brake. If the hill is known to be very steep then you should drop down a gear to give engine braking and always start at the speed you intend to finish at!

Tim
Tim Watson
Tim Watson

Number of posts : 585
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post  BurrellSimplicity Thu 29 Aug 2019, 5:38 pm

Yes i think it’s well worth machining them and I’m lucky that I can I guess! I’ve been on a 6inch Mack that was not concentric and it was somewhat interesting with the on and off braking forces!

Using the reverser is never really a good idea as you can bend the crank and do other damage.

Checking the run out here! Rear wheel Brake band run out A26d2a10

BurrellSimplicity

Back to top Go down

Post  Willsy Thu 29 Aug 2019, 9:15 pm

Iv been lucky enough to have done a lot of road work with a 7nhp Burrell road loco and that has bent rods so pulling back on the reverser is never an option.
I think our wheels were 1.5mm out of concentricRear wheel Brake band run out 30ac5710

Willsy

Back to top Go down

Post  Willsy Thu 29 Aug 2019, 9:17 pm

Also as Tim was saying friction material on the brake blocks is also a good idea!

Willsy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down