Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boiler dimensions & Boiler tips

+4
Simon C
Will@STW
elwood-59
tef 20
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Boiler dimensions & Boiler tips - Page 2 Empty Re: Boiler dimensions & Boiler tips

Post  milford59 Wed 12 May 2021, 9:07 pm

tef 20 wrote:No problem, remember there should be a dummy rivet for the extra hole in the perch.

Boiler dimensions & Boiler tips - Page 2 20210410

Mark

Thanks Mark - I have the 2 dummy rivets , so they can be glued in later.

milford59

Number of posts : 307
Registration date : 2019-05-19

Back to top Go down

Boiler dimensions & Boiler tips - Page 2 Empty Re: Boiler dimensions & Boiler tips

Post  andyfletch Thu 13 May 2021, 5:20 pm

great progress Milford, and looking very smart!
andyfletch
andyfletch

Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2008-06-21

milford59 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  milford59 Fri 14 May 2021, 2:20 pm

I am posting this as a warning to new builders to take care when coming back to parts that you haven’t touched for over a year..... I had a good tip from Mark about the retaining collar inside the perch bracket, and luckily I had only fitted it loosely.... so when I added that collar and put the perch bracket back yesterday I decided to use thread lock on all the nuts..... this morning I came across the thrust washer in my box of parts not yet fitted..... my heart sank, and the next couple of hours was spent trying to get the nuts undone, which is not easy when you have to hold the round rivet heads with pliers.

Anyway, I managed to sort it although a couple of the rivets got damaged in the process.... I felt pretty stupid !!

Boiler dimensions & Boiler tips - Page 2 Cf15f110

milford59

Mark the spark likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  milford59 Sat 19 Feb 2022, 1:37 pm

I am soon going to fit the cork lining on the boiler. The instructions mention using sellotape or similar to hold it down, but I am thinking about using some spray adhesive and attaching it tight to the surface of the boiler. Is this a bad idea - will it ever need to come off again, or be replaced ? Any tips or advice will be appreciated.

milford59

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam Sat 19 Feb 2022, 6:25 pm

On my agri I used ceramic paper/insulation around 5mm from memory and it seems to work far better than the cork.

I replaced the Cork once and it gets very crispy, just used wide parcel tape to secure it and the ceramic stuff and it seems fine. Not sure I'd want to use any spray adhesive as it all gets really hot.

Yes it will need to come off when you have your hydraulic test, although depending who you use club or commercial that will be in 4 to 10yrs time.

LiveSteam

Number of posts : 778
Registration date : 2013-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post  milford59 Sun 20 Feb 2022, 5:25 pm

Thanks very much for that input.

milford59

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam Sun 20 Feb 2022, 10:25 pm

I'm dead impressed with the ceramic stuff, keeps the outer cladding considerably cooler than the cork, the jury is still out on its longevity.

LiveSteam

Back to top Go down

Post  milford59 Mon 21 Feb 2022, 3:52 pm

LiveSteam wrote:I'm dead impressed with the ceramic stuff, keeps the outer cladding considerably cooler than the cork, the jury is still out on its longevity.

Can you give a link or details to the stuff you mean ? Thanks very much

milford59

Back to top Go down

Post  Lynn@STW Mon 21 Feb 2022, 4:20 pm

Just a note on "stuck nuts". When trying to remove thread locked nuts. Use a bit of heat on the nut, nothing fancy a hobby propane torch is good enough. This will break the locking compound and make the nut easier to remove.

Lynn@STW

Number of posts : 167
Registration date : 2017-07-19

http://www.steamtractionworld.co.uk

milford59 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam Mon 21 Feb 2022, 6:59 pm

milford59 wrote:
LiveSteam wrote:I'm dead impressed with the ceramic stuff, keeps the outer cladding considerably cooler than the cork, the jury is still out on its longevity.

Can you give a link or details to the stuff you mean ?  Thanks very much

I bought a one meter of this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152127728863 other suppliers are out there, I was happy with my purchase although it was a little cheaper a few years ago. 1mtr was enough to do the Agri with a bit left over from memory, I dont know if the boiler is different on the SCC engine.

I find even after a good hour of steaming I can still touch the cladding and even after a few hours while I wouldnt want to touch it for long you can. Where as when it had the cork there was no way you could even think about touching the cladding after an hour and any water would fizz merrily on the cladding where as now it just runs down it steaming a bit.
I keep meaning to measure the actual difference between raw boiler temp and cladding temp.

LiveSteam

Back to top Go down

Post  milford59 Tue 22 Feb 2022, 7:08 pm

Thanks very much ! - I know the stuff you mean now…. I bought something similar (refractory grade) to cover the sides of this propane forge that I made.

Boiler dimensions & Boiler tips - Page 2 32913c10

milford59

LiveSteam likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2