Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question about front wheel hub assembly

4 posters

Go down

Question about front wheel hub assembly Empty Question about front wheel hub assembly

Post  milford59 Wed 11 Dec 2019, 9:14 am

I am now building the front wheels - is there any reason to wait for the front axle to arrive BEFORE gluing the hubs ? Are there any crucial tolerances that could not be fixed if I have already glued the hubs ? Thanks very much - all wheel building tips and tricks are welcome !!

milford59

Number of posts : 307
Registration date : 2019-05-19

Back to top Go down

Question about front wheel hub assembly Empty Re: Question about front wheel hub assembly

Post  lynnr Thu 12 Dec 2019, 2:39 pm

Hi

As long as the bushings are in and the hub plates are centred you will not have any problem.
I left my bushings slightly out and centred up the plates.

Watch the thickness of the paint as this can bind up on the axle shoulder.
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Question about front wheel hub assembly Empty Re: Question about front wheel hub assembly

Post  milford59 Thu 12 Dec 2019, 2:59 pm

Thank you very much for that info.

milford59

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve Traill Sun 15 Dec 2019, 2:30 pm

Personally I would wait until I had the axle, I made the mistake of just loctiting a set of bushes in once and then found the tolerance allowed one to be slightly twisted to the other. After that I would loctite the bushes and immediately fit the shaft to line up the bushes in the outer hub while the loctite went off.
Steve Traill
Steve Traill

Number of posts : 800
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post  milford59 Mon 16 Dec 2019, 1:33 pm

Thanks Steve - I had already stuck one outer bush into a wheel — I will now wait till I get the axle to be certain that it all fits, before fitting and loctiting the other 3- I appreciate both replies . Thanks.

milford59

Back to top Go down

Post  milford59 Sun 22 Dec 2019, 9:40 am

OK - I received the front axle and all bushes are now in. Thanks for the advice.

Regarding the 6mm pins that go through the retaining collars - I have found that they are a fraction off vertical when the axle is on, so they rub against the edge of the hub and cannot be hammered in. My plan is to use a suitable diameter stainless steel split pin to retain the wheels - it will be hidden under the outer cover anyway.

milford59

Back to top Go down

Post  Simon C Sun 22 Dec 2019, 2:56 pm

milford59 wrote:OK - I received the front axle and all bushes are now in. Thanks for the advice.

Regarding the 6mm pins that go through the retaining collars - I have found that they are a fraction off vertical when the axle is on, so they rub against the edge of the hub and cannot be hammered in. My plan is to use a suitable diameter stainless steel split pin to retain the wheels - it will be hidden under the outer cover anyway.

The retaining pin is held in place by the outer cover so not enough room to accommodate the head of a split pin.
I encountered the same problem with my showman's and the solution was to file a flat on the inside edge of the supplied retaining pin, and file a little off the collars on the wheel side.
I also pop marked all the parts so they always get fitted/oriented as a set.
Simon C
Simon C
Simon C

Number of posts : 303
Registration date : 2017-07-07

Back to top Go down

Post  milford59 Sun 22 Dec 2019, 7:04 pm

Simon C wrote:
milford59 wrote:OK - I received the front axle and all bushes are now in. Thanks for the advice.

The retaining pin is held in place by the outer cover so not enough room to accommodate the head of a split pin.
I encountered the same problem with my showman's and the solution was to file a flat on the inside edge of the supplied retaining pin, and file a little off the collars on the wheel side.
I also pop marked all the parts so they always get fitted/oriented as a set.
Simon C

Thanks Simon - I hadn’t realised that - your plan sounds like the way to go.

milford59

Back to top Go down

Post  milford59 Mon 10 Feb 2020, 7:22 pm

Here are my wheels - now in undercoat - I will do the top coat soon, when the weather gets a bit warmer.
I managed to sort out the pins by filing a flat on them. Thanks to Simon C for that tip.

Question about front wheel hub assembly Wheels11

milford59

Back to top Go down

Post  milford59 Tue 24 Nov 2020, 8:00 pm

Just adding this picture to the thread, as I have now put the topcoats on the front wheels.

Question about front wheel hub assembly C4d9d410

Lining still to be done - but I need to practice a bit first...

milford59

Back to top Go down

Post  milford59 Sat 21 Aug 2021, 12:02 pm

Here are the front wheels after I lined them - they need some varnish and then they will be mounted on the front axle….

Question about front wheel hub assembly 88490710

milford59

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down