Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4" agricutal traction engine

3 posters

Go down

4" agricutal traction engine  Empty 4" agricutal traction engine

Post  Kyle472 Mon 22 Jul 2019, 7:29 am

I am a 14 year old boy who has had a passion for steam most of my life and i have always wanted one to use what are people's opinions on the 4" Burrell (it would be the one in the picture) i have to start with the 1" and work my way up so what do people think of the 4" agricutal traction engine
Thanks kyle472 4" agricutal traction engine  Screen12

Kyle472

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2019-07-22

Back to top Go down

4" agricutal traction engine  Empty Re: 4" agricutal traction engine

Post  Will@STW Mon 22 Jul 2019, 10:51 am

Hi Kyle472

You will find that the 4" is a much better steamer than the 2", this is entirely down to the size issue. A 4 " steams well because you have more of everything (you can leave the fire to burn for a few minutes, you don't run out of water very quickly etc.), however you have the added difficulties of moving it around. But the 2" is easy to move around, however it will be more difficult to steam, and will require constant attention as you could run out of everything in a few caravan widths. My advice would be to go for a 4" if you are planning to travel long distances with it (i.e. more than a few hundred yards). I personally wouldn't go smaller than a 4" because I like to drive around. You will also find that the 4" is STW's bread and butter, as the design is almost 15 years as it was first made in 2005. As a result it is less likely that there will be any problems, but when there are problems, they can be solved with relative ease.

Thanks

Will@STW
Will@STW
Will@STW

Number of posts : 196
Registration date : 2019-01-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Kyle472 Mon 22 Jul 2019, 11:13 am

Ok thanks i need to start saving to be able to afford it tho

Kyle472

Back to top Go down

Post  Will@STW Mon 22 Jul 2019, 11:57 am

Kyle472 wrote:Ok thanks i need to start saving to be able to afford it tho

That is of course where the 2" becomes ideal, and with the 2" you have the added bonus of it being small enough to build in the house, rather than having to build it in the garage which of course can be cold and uncomfortable. I would just say that it would not be good for roading places. Other wise it is a good engine, and if cash is tight, it would be a great start.

Thanks

Will@STW
Will@STW
Will@STW

Number of posts : 196
Registration date : 2019-01-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Kyle472 Mon 22 Jul 2019, 12:01 pm

Ok thanks

Kyle472

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam Thu 25 Jul 2019, 10:26 pm

The 2" as Will says has many advantages in the way of weight and storage and transport, the 2" will pull an adult about on tarmac with relative ease ONCE you've mastered running it. The 2" will need a lot of attention and you will get it wrong on many occasions to start with but once you mastered it you should find it will pull you about on tarmac with relative ease, but it will take a lot of practice Wink
I've seen a 2" drag an adult and 2 trailers around quite happily.

You master a 2" and you'll find everything else a stroll in the park Wink

LiveSteam

Number of posts : 778
Registration date : 2013-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down