Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tender and hornplate kit

2 posters

Go down

Tender and hornplate kit Empty Tender and hornplate kit

Post  LilyJack Sat 15 Aug 2009, 1:11 pm

Hiya guys an gals,

Seeing some pretty good stuff from all you lot, unfortunately I'm WAY behind all you lot and muchly envious Rolling Eyes
Nah I'm nor really, I do have a question now though, this mostly goes to Big Al' (whose a STONE LIGHTER Shocked , not bad goin there matey), I remember you talking about aralditing certain bolts into the tender to make fitting easier on assembly, I've also been searching AND got one company in mind regards the lining masking tape, have YOU got a company you used/recommend for the tape at all?
Also, I'm looking at the hornplates as well etc etc, what to paint and when? I've looked through the forum on 2" and seen nowt on this so any advice would be appreciated thanks..

Best regards,

LilyJack Cool

LilyJack

Number of posts : 236
Registration date : 2009-04-01

Back to top Go down

Tender and hornplate kit Empty Re: Tender and hornplate kit

Post  Big Al Sat 15 Aug 2009, 5:34 pm

LilyJack

Re the striping I used the company that Julia recommended on her website in the section about lining. The tape they suppplied and I used was Jtape Striping tape 25mm x14mm their website is www.jtape.com and you can order direct so should be cheaper
The parts I secured before sealing the boiler, other than the ones STW suggest was the lower bracket for the cable rollers and the lower step. If you secure the bolts from the inside, especially the cable roller bracket, then it makes it easier to paint and, in the case of the bracket, easier to line. If you look at full size engines they had the nuts on the outside. You cant do anything with the brass bracket for the injector pipe as that must be secured from the inside before sealing the tank.

If I were to start painting again I would use etch primer in a aerosol can from maidstone engineering. It's not cheap but does a good job. If you start using etch for the brass and ordinary for the rest of the metal it gets messy on the tank with the brass edging strips. I would use the etch on the whole of the tank.
The hornplates, just above the line of bolts that secure them to the boiler I painted in heat resistant paint, not becuase of the heat but as I painted the boiler with heat resistant paint, and on the real thing the hornplates are part of the boiler I thought they would look good in the matt black.

again in retrospect I would have waited till I got all the big bits (gear guards etc ) before getting the lot painted and lined before final assembly

Alan

Big Al

Number of posts : 147
Registration date : 2008-06-18

Back to top Go down

Post  LilyJack Sat 15 Aug 2009, 7:46 pm

Thank you Al', thats a good enough explanation for me, thanks for your time on this one Smile I'll have to get you a beer when we end up showing them at a rally (you can keep me to that because I've a memory like a sieve and shall forget).
Thanks again mate.

Best regards,

LilyJack Cool

LilyJack

Number of posts : 236
Registration date : 2009-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down