Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Weights of C Type and SWB

+2
LiveSteam
simonbos
6 posters

Go down

Weights of C Type and SWB Empty Weights of C Type and SWB

Post  simonbos Thu 18 Jan 2018, 3:57 pm

Hi
Would someone be able to tell me the finished weights of the C Type and the SWB empty as it might decide which trailer I buy. Thanks, Simon

simonbos

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2012-09-20

Back to top Go down

Weights of C Type and SWB Empty Re: Weights of C Type and SWB

Post  LiveSteam Thu 18 Jan 2018, 5:44 pm

Website implies just over a ton

http://www.steamtractionworld.com/6inchfoden.htm

LiveSteam

Number of posts : 777
Registration date : 2013-09-08

Back to top Go down

Weights of C Type and SWB Empty 6'' Foden

Post  AlfieMoon Tue 27 Nov 2018, 4:18 pm

Simon,

Did you finally decide on the trailer to buy for your Foden lorry?
I need to pick up my first parts and am considering getting a trailer now to be useful at the end as well.
Weight I have found as 1.3ton

Regards Peter

AlfieMoon

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2018-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post  mikero Tue 27 Nov 2018, 11:16 pm

One thing to consider is wether you are going to fill the boiler up with water before you travel to a rally. I find it much easier to fill up my J type at home than at a rally, another consideration is the lighting up coal that you need to take with you plus the firewood, all of this may travel on the trailer. The winch and battery will add a few kilos as will the tarp, especially a wet tarp. Where is the tent or gazebow going to travel.

Try and think of anything that will travel with the engine.

Mike

mikero
mikero

Number of posts : 261
Registration date : 2011-07-19

Back to top Go down

Weights of C Type and SWB Empty trailers for 6'' lorry

Post  AlfieMoon Wed 28 Nov 2018, 9:34 am

Mike thanks for the reply, I was considering keeping the trailer relatively close to the size required, rather than have a 14' x 6' trailer to tow around. Since the FODEN lorry has a flat back I was thinking of using this to store fuel and tent requirements etc.
How do you find towing and arranging yourself on sites with you engine.Two man job?

Do you have to watch you tap water for the boiler, hard or soft? Is this why you fill up at home.

Regards peter

AlfieMoon

Back to top Go down

Post  simonbos Wed 28 Nov 2018, 5:11 pm

Hi Peter
I ended up buying an Ifor Williams LM126 with a 2 ton manual winch and 8' long aluminium ramps. Hope it's not too high to load 6" Foden C type when completed but will definitely be fitting an electric winch once build completed. Simon

simonbos

Back to top Go down

Post  mikero Wed 28 Nov 2018, 10:52 pm

Peter

Its the convience of having a mains tap with the right hose fittings at home, something not available when you get to the top of the hill at the GDSF.
I drive with the engine in the van and the artic trailer on a Brenderup trailer behind. I manage getting set up OK, I sleep in the van with a side awning for cooking, luggage etc. The engine lives in a Gazebo covered with a large tarp, my engine cleaners ( grandchildren ) generally arrive a day later.

One sin I do commit is have enough boxes of tools and spare bits to repair every miniature at the rally.

Mike
mikero
mikero

Back to top Go down

Weights of C Type and SWB Empty Weights of 6' Foden

Post  AlfieMoon Thu 29 Nov 2018, 9:28 am

Simon, thank you for reply, Started looking at Brian James trailers but no dealer in Devon.
So I also am looking at the Ivor Williams range, thought about the plant trailer or GD125 or GD126.
Length 12'-2" by 5'-2" wide.

I was concerned on the centre of gravity of the Foden lorry and getting the load over one of the twin axles, how did you come to your choice? Cannot seem to get this information and the wheel widths if I went for the twin ramps.
Also the plant and GD range have a bed height of 430mm. May be a bit paranoid at sloshing water in the boiler turning a corner tight, keeping the weight low. We are debating on the C or SWB range, and the length of trailers needed for both, and the practicalities of both, storage and transport. I need to pick up the first kit, hence the correct choice of trailer.

Mike sounds as though you have get it sorted on travel and what is required. Must have walked past you at the DGSF over the years.
Its suppose to be not that easy to get a pitch at the show. You must be a good person to know at shows, if you have got lots of spares with you?

Regards peter

AlfieMoon

Back to top Go down

Post  mikero Thu 29 Nov 2018, 1:50 pm

The essential, of course ,is a big hammer.

Mike
mikero
mikero

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam Thu 29 Nov 2018, 7:34 pm

AlfieMoon wrote:

Do you have to watch you tap water for the boiler, hard or soft? Is this why you fill up at home.

Regards peter

For the 4" Agri I have to admit in taking as much "home" water with me as poss as I know its quality and its not that hard, also I've had some fairly dodgy rally water over the years along with the odd queue at the watering holes.
I might have gone to the extreme last year mind with the installation of 100ltr tank in my van which now gives me enough "home" water for a decent weekend of rallying, although it does depend a bit on evening beer tent running lol!

Yeah I know I'm mad Laughing

LiveSteam

Number of posts : 777
Registration date : 2013-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post  simonbos Sun 28 Feb 2021, 9:31 pm

Weighed my 6" Foden C Type yesterday on the weighbridge - exactly 1 tonne unladen (no coal or water or sides on rear). Was lighter than I was expecting.

simonbos

GeorgeTB likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  GeorgeTB Mon 01 Mar 2021, 9:38 am

Thanks for that info Simonbos - I have been racking my brain on what to do with towing combinations when my 6" C type is completed. Dean quoted around 1.3t when I spoke to him, but I had assumed that would be dry. If your measurement at 1 tonne is dry then around 1.3t wet and coaled would feel right - after all it's nearly 150kgs in tank water alone + the boiler and coal.

I'll still weigh mine but it's opened a whole new avenue of towing vehicles: our current 4X4 is a 2 ton limit and I was thinking I'd need to change it.
GeorgeTB
GeorgeTB

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2020-06-28

Back to top Go down

Post  simonbos Mon 01 Mar 2021, 8:37 pm

Hi George TB
I changed my Freelander (legally tow 2.0 tonnes) for a Volvo XC60 which can legally tow 2.2 tonnes. My Ifor Williams LM126 trailer weighs 900kg and with the Foden on board (empty) on Saturday weighed 1.9 tonnes so I reckon I have 300 kgs to play with to allow for water/coal/tools etc etc.
The trailer is a perfect size for the Foden.
I was very relieved that the Foden only weighed a tonne as thought I was going to be right on the legal limit weight wise.
Have also fitted a remote control electric winch which has revolutionised loading/unloading safety.
The Volvo also pulls much better than Freelander and it didn't feel as if I had nearly 2 tonnes behind.
Just have to make up securing chains down to trailer lashing rings and make lashing points on the Foden now.
Simon

simonbos

Back to top Go down

Post  GeorgeTB Tue 02 Mar 2021, 9:50 am

Hi Simon,

The Ifor I've got is a LT126 - which is the 2 ton max version and has the full height rear ramp but I reckon it'll have to be changed out for a meatier one as it'll be right on it's maximum. Ifor reckon our trailer weighs in around around 660kgs but I've never put it on a weigh bridge to check and I suspect it's higher with sides on. It'll be tight on combination weight but since looking most of the lightweight car transporter trailers don't shave much off for weight and look flimsy. It might be time to go for a bigger tow car!

Then again - I do need to build the engine first!

George.
GeorgeTB
GeorgeTB

Back to top Go down

Post  Simon C Tue 02 Mar 2021, 11:45 am

The question now is does your driving licence allow you to tow with a GTW greater than 3500kg.
Regardless of the max towing weight of your vehicle you may not be legal to drive it.
You will need to take a trailer licence to give you the right.
Simon C.
Simon C
Simon C

Number of posts : 303
Registration date : 2017-07-07

Back to top Go down

Post  GeorgeTB Tue 02 Mar 2021, 1:06 pm

You are exactly right Simon C - on my list of things to get done this year is my trailer licence. My grandad cannot sit next to me forever whilst I have L plates on!
GeorgeTB
GeorgeTB

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down