Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

valve, expansion link and reverser adjustment

3 posters

Go down

valve, expansion link and reverser adjustment Empty valve, expansion link and reverser adjustment

Post  forge Fri 17 Jul 2009, 10:01 am

hi all, being new to all things steam i have what may seem to some to be a simple question!

i have a small problem with setting full reverse. in froward engine turns over by hand very well, but in reverse the expansion link tends to lift as you turn the engine over. This causes the reverser leaver to rock, i am worried this will cause a failure of the taper pins in the linkage. does this problem indicate a problem inside the valve chest? or do i need to extend the slot in the expansion link?
i also notice the two sides of the valve are different widths. is this correct or should they both be the same? Steve / Dave, can you let me know the dimensions for the valve.

thanks Jon
forge
forge

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

valve, expansion link and reverser adjustment Empty Re: valve, expansion link and reverser adjustment

Post  Steam Traction World Fri 17 Jul 2009, 12:16 pm

Hi Jon

Make sure that the die block does not foul the top of the expansion link at the highest point in its travel for forward and the bottom of the expansion link for reverse. The clearance needed is the minimum possible otherwise you will loose a bit of valve travel. If you can slide a bit of paper between the die block and the expansion link at their closest position then that would be fine.

The reason your reversing lever moves is either the ‘sticktion’ caused by friction in the various pins and linkages or the die block is fouling the bottom of the expansion link. You must not change the slot in the expansion link.

Regards

Steve

p.s. who's Dave??

Steam Traction World
Admin

Number of posts : 946
Registration date : 2008-06-18

http://www.steamtractionworld.co.uk

Back to top Go down

valve, expansion link and reverser adjustment Empty Re: valve, expansion link and reverser adjustment

Post  forge Fri 17 Jul 2009, 2:47 pm

thanks Steve, i will check it out later, oh Dave was a mistype, should have said Dean...

model is coming together very nicely, and starting to get very heavy now, I will need to invest in some lifting tackle when i get to building the 4" road loco. do you have a price for the 2" wagon yet?
forge
forge

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post  BUNGLE Fri 17 Jul 2009, 4:02 pm

HI STEVE, THANKS FOR ANSWERING FORGES QUESTION. WE TO HAVE SOME MOVEMENT OF THE LEVER IN REVERSE. WE HAVE VERY CAREFULLY SET THE DIE BLOCK WITH CLEARANCE AT BOTH ENDS MATCHING AT AROUND 0.3mm. SO I GUESS WE HAVE A 'STICKION' PROB. AT THE MOMENT THE PINS HAVE BEEN PUT IN 'FAIRLY' DRY (JUST A FILM OF OIL ON THEM) SO GUESS WE'LL HAVE TO CRACK THAT OIL CAN OUT AGAIN.

REGARDS
BUNGLE

BUNGLE

Number of posts : 232
Registration date : 2008-06-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down