Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Replacing boiler Lagging

2 posters

Go down

Replacing boiler Lagging Empty Replacing boiler Lagging

Post  LiveSteam Sun 04 Oct 2015, 1:55 pm

Well the time has come for my MW Agri to have its hydraulic and steam this year so its strip down time to allow the inspector to give the boiler the full once over, anyhow once I extracted the cladding I got to the now rather crispy cork lagging Laughing
Most of it either turned to dust or was like a crisp soaked in oil and just shattered.

So whats the vedict on replacments, do I go back to cork or is it worth looking at something like a ceramic blanket or similar ?
http://www.heritagesteamsupplies.co.uk/ceramic-blanket-6mm-x-610mm-x-5-5m-1260c-96kg.html

Must admit considering the cladding I doubt has been off in 10yrs the boiler under it was in great condition little bit of rust up round by the drain valves as they leak a bit and it appears the whistle manifold has leaked at somestage but its really only very minimal. Mind you the amount of oil that was under the jacket I think helped.

So go back to cork or look at something else ?

LiveSteam

Number of posts : 777
Registration date : 2013-09-08

Back to top Go down

Replacing boiler Lagging Empty Re: Replacing boiler Lagging

Post  Mark the spark Sun 04 Oct 2015, 2:02 pm

I used this type of lagging on my large loco and it is great
I used cork in the past but this stuff is far better

Mark the spark

Number of posts : 389
Registration date : 2015-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam Mon 05 Oct 2015, 6:38 pm

Yes I have used it on our dinky 5" loco and it seemed very good, but thats kept really dry and clean and the last time it came off you wouldnt know it had been on.
My concern was with all the lube and water that ends up draining over the boiler inevitabley would it soak it up and possibly cause more problems in the long term as it would be like a sponge ?or would it just disintegrate ?

LiveSteam

Number of posts : 777
Registration date : 2013-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down