Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sticking regulator

5 posters

Go down

Sticking regulator Empty Sticking regulator

Post  MrStationHouse Sun 19 Jul 2015, 8:22 am

Has any else had problems with the regulator rod sticking?

Mine is sticking dreadfully, twice now I have cleaned it out and polished the rod. It is still stuck solid now it is cold. I am wondering do I need a thinner rod or to enlarge the holes?

Best wishes
Simon

MrStationHouse

Number of posts : 314
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Sticking regulator Empty Re: Sticking regulator

Post  Tim Watson Sun 19 Jul 2015, 9:03 am

I seem to recall opening out the spindle size a little (0.5 mm?) at the chimney end. The PTFE valve packing should keep it steam tight. The holes are probably not in perfect alignment.

Tim
Tim Watson
Tim Watson

Number of posts : 585
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Sun 19 Jul 2015, 9:42 am

Yes. I also opened the hole size at the chimney end. No sticking for over two years now.
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post  IanL Mon 20 Jul 2015, 11:03 am

Yes mine sticks too. I have found that it goes rock solid when cold, and was wondering if it is the PTFE gland packing being too tight. or is it the oil acting like glue in the gland packing. once moving it works fine. I have now learnt o leave the regulator in the fully open position then moving it within 24 hours of cooling the engine this seems to work fine and now no longer sticks hence my thought about the oil gluing the rod into the gland packing.

Ian
IanL
IanL

Number of posts : 437
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam Mon 20 Jul 2015, 9:13 pm

My Agri use to suffer this and it worried the hell out of me during winter and I use pop every day to wiggle it, then like you use to leave it wide open so I could pull it closed.
I then found during running down once there was no pressure left I'd pop a bit of oil on each end of the reg shaft and work it back and forth a bit and now rarely have any problems. Even after several weeks of no use its still pretty free and if it feels like its starting to stiffen I pop a bit of oil on each end and waggle it back and forth and it frees up again nicely. Since doing this no problems even with a month of no steaming, although that rarely happens and even then I tend to turn the oiler a few times once a week and the fly wheel over a few times.

LiveSteam

Number of posts : 778
Registration date : 2013-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post  MrStationHouse Tue 21 Jul 2015, 9:53 am

Thanks all, I do like the idea of leaving the regulator open, that way you can pull it shut. Will also try the oil.

With best wishes
Simon

MrStationHouse

Number of posts : 314
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down