Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A trip to STW Towers

+4
LilyJack
northburrell
Vapor
TonyT
8 posters

Go down

A trip to STW Towers Empty A trip to STW Towers

Post  TonyT Thu 30 Apr 2009, 11:02 am

Hi All

I took a trip up to STW yesterday to deliver my engine as an exhibit for the forthcoming Harrogate show and I'm pleased to say that what I've seen is very encouraging Very Happy The welcome was very warm with a cup of tea to boot.Dean,Steve,Isobel,and the guys in the workshop (sorry I didn't get your names) are all doing a splendid job.I certainly enjoyed my couple hours with you all.

I've seen the some of the castings for the water pump,clack valves,and the governer and these are looking really good Very Happy I look foward to the finished parts.

Now there have been some negative comments made on the forum recently,I'm guilty of one or two,but believe me everyone is working really hard to keep to the schedule and that we receive our parts on time.Didn't see any 2" Burrells parts being worked on,it was all Foden and 4" Burrell Cool

Anyhow,thanks for the tea and the ride on the Likamobile

Keep up the good work.

Finally,please look after my "other woman" and I'll see you in a couple weeks.Guess I'll have to play more Guitar Hero lol!

cheer's Tony
TonyT
TonyT

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2008-06-17

Back to top Go down

A trip to STW Towers Empty Re: A trip to STW Towers

Post  Vapor Thu 30 Apr 2009, 12:21 pm

Hi Tony,

Well I think you echo the thoughts of many of us, the guys at STW are doing a grand job despite one or two negative comments on the forum, I think it's very easy to sit back in judgment and some people on the forum should maybe think before they whinge.

Personally I (and I think I can speak for other STW customers) think all the staff at STW have done wonders in such a short time and under very difficult circumstances in getting STW up and running and the current financial circumstances in outside world and I sincerely hope that they will all reap the benefit of their labours in the future.

Kind Regards
Ian
Vapor
Vapor

Number of posts : 383
Registration date : 2008-06-18

Back to top Go down

Post  northburrell Thu 30 Apr 2009, 2:56 pm

I think negative comments are a good thing.. after all MW's went down due to not listening to cutomers so why should customers not complain about stuff if things aren't up to scratch. agree'd things are miles better from MW's days and hope that STW listen to customers moans and growns and take action as they see fit..

northburrell

Number of posts : 197
Registration date : 2008-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post  LilyJack Thu 30 Apr 2009, 4:06 pm

See thats what made me make my mind up pretty sharpish, the whole "set-up" there is very professional, Isobel,Dean n Steve didn't give any "holier than thou" attitude, a very warm and friendly environment!
As for the steam car, the Likamobile, thats some bit of kit aint it haha. Made my arse twitch though I have to say Embarassed
But I really did enjoy it, been tellin the lads at work about it and, despite some piss-taking, they were all genuinely like oooooooooooooooooh Surprised COOL!!!

I hope STW will be going for a long time to come yet as, once the 2" is completed, I want to progress onto the 4" as well Dean and Steve know!!!!

Keep up the good work lads..

Best Regards

LilyJack

ps: whats happening with the Rushden Historical show this coming weekend??. I finish Saturday morning 2am (dont ask, its a shite time to finish I know) but I can be up and away at 9 no problems..

LilyJack

Number of posts : 236
Registration date : 2009-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post  Vapor Thu 30 Apr 2009, 5:26 pm

Northburrell,

I have no problem with negative comments provided they are meant to be constructive, but I cannot stand "Whinging" for what ever reason.

All the best
Ian
Vapor
Vapor

Back to top Go down

Post  hughb Thu 30 Apr 2009, 5:52 pm

Hi guys Yes I can say the guys at STW are good ..As thay have to put up with me . Razz Sad
The only wimpering I can do is not haveing a go in the likamobile .May be another time .And if I did then may do one as like them Laughing Shocked
hughb
hughb

Number of posts : 575
Registration date : 2009-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Vapor Thu 30 Apr 2009, 6:15 pm

Hugh,

All I can say is when you go to STW for your Likermobile ride take a butt plug lol!

Ian
Vapor
Vapor

Back to top Go down

Post  LilyJack Thu 30 Apr 2009, 6:20 pm

Vapor!!!! Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz

Bit bloody late to tell me that now Razz Razz Razz Razz . I think I need to get out more Shocked ya comment tickled me!!

LilyJack Cool

LilyJack

Number of posts : 236
Registration date : 2009-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post  hughb Thu 30 Apr 2009, 8:36 pm

Vapor wrote:Hugh,

All I can say is when you go to STW for your Likermobile ride take a butt plug lol!

Ian
Mad Mad Razz Embarassed Embarassed I do have a caving harnise and cow's tails to hook on with Smile Shocked
hughb
hughb

Number of posts : 575
Registration date : 2009-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post  BUNGLE Thu 30 Apr 2009, 9:17 pm

GUESS I'D BETTER HAVE A BIT OF A SAY !
CONSTRUCTIVE, NEGATIVE COMMENTS ARE HOW COMPANYS CAN GET FEED BACK, ALONG, OF COURSE WITH HOPEFULLY MORE, POSTIVE COMMENTS. AS VAPOR SAYS WHINING IS A PAIN. I THINK THIS SECTION IS VERY FREE OF NEGATIVE COMMENTS ON THE WHOLE. MOST SEEM TO BE IN THE FODEN SECTION, LEAST AT THE MOMENT.
I PERSONALLY THINK THE GUYS (AND ISOBEL !) ARE DOING A GREAT JOB. MW WERE CRAP, STW ARE GOOD, I'VE TRYED TO BE SUPPORTIVE TO THE GUYS FROM THE START OF STW, AND I HOPE THAT HAS SHOWN, BOTH ON HERE, AND DEALING WITH THEM IN PERSON.
WHEN I GET CHANCE TO GET UP TO STW I DON'T WANT A RIDE IN THE LIKAMOBILE, PERSONALLY THEY DO NOTHING FOR ME AT ALL, I'VE SAID THAT BEFORE ON HERE AND TO THE GUYS, BUT THE WORLD WOULD BE EVEN WORSE, IF WE ALL LIKED THE SAME THINGS, SO IF THEY ARE FOR YOU, FILL YA BOOTS.

TONY, THAT WAS A LONG TRIP FOR YOU, TO DELIVER YOUR ENGINE, OR WAS YOU GOING THAT WAY ANYWAY ?

REGARDS
BUNGLE

BUNGLE

Number of posts : 232

Back to top Go down

A trip to STW Towers Empty ModelWorks, some balance

Post  Steve Traill Thu 30 Apr 2009, 10:47 pm

Hi Guys

I notice there is a lot of negative comments about the old ModelWorks, when I built my engine in 04/05 I found the whole company supportive and very helpfull. I visited the Daventry works and met the staff and everyone was committed to ensuring that the customers build was successfull. Any hand built product with as many moving parts as these engines have is bound to have occasional gremlins. I think we get so used to buying a part for our cars over a counter that just bolts on and fits perfectly we don't realise that our engines aren't made this way. Ford & GM spend hundreds of millions of pounds developing a car (and still get it wrong sometimes). What impressed me with the old MW was when I had a problem it was dealt with straight away with everyone doing there best to resolve the situation. Not once throughout the build did I have to pay for any extras when occasionally I messed something up! I realise that later on they changed a bit however I found the whole experience very enjoyable and have made many new friends through being a ModelWorks customer. Very Happy
Steve Traill
Steve Traill

Number of posts : 800
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post  TonyT Thu 30 Apr 2009, 11:44 pm

Hi Bungle

No I wasn't going that way.I was on the phone with Isobel the other day,when the question was popped if STW could borrow the engine for the Harrogate show.I had a chat with the Nita and the boys and we all agreed to this (our's is a family engine to be passed down,not my engine).So I dropped my youngest off to school,with the engine on the back seat held in with the seat belts and then off on my travels.283 miles and nearly 5 hours later I arrived at STW,had a couple of cups of tea,a good look around the place,and a very good long chat with Dean and Steve.I didn't mind doing it,because I have found it an honour that they asked to borrow the engine for this show.Got to say though,my hallway now looks empty Laughing

Steve,I see where you are coming from with your comments about MW,but things did go down hill rapidly,the right hand said one thing whilst the left done it's own thing,plus a lot of us lost money when MW went down the pan.Things are a lot better now because issues are sorted quicker now than ever before.Everyone at STW are busting a gut to get this company off the ground and from what I can gather,things are looking up and I wish them well in the future.

Keep up the good work everyone

cheer's Tony Very Happy

PS You bunch of lightwieghts,the likamobile isn't that bad.I had a blast around the block with Dean and loved it.Can't wait to go back and maybe I'll be offered a drive again.If so I'll bite Deans hand off cheers

Last edited by TonyT on Thu 30 Apr 2009, 11:52 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added the PS)
TonyT
TonyT

Number of posts : 134

Back to top Go down

Post  BUNGLE Fri 01 May 2009, 10:53 pm

OUTSTANDING EFFORT TONY, NICE TO KNOW IT IS A FAMILY ENGINE. YOU WILL BE RIGHTLY, PROUD TO HAVE IT DISPLAYED.

STEVE, AS TONY SAYS, KINDA 06/07 ON, MW WENT SHARPLY DOWN HILL, WITH WHAT SEEMED/FELT LIKE TOTAL CONTEMPT FOR THE CUSTOMER.

STW ARE GREAT, EVERYBODYS PUTTING IN MAX EFFORT. THEY DO STILL HAVE THE MILLSTONE OF MW'S LAST DAYS TO SHAKE OFF IN SOME PEOPLES EYES, AND I GUESS TO SOME EXTENT, EVEN WE WOULD BE WARY OF BEING COUGHT AGAIN. SEEMS THAT YOU ENJOYED THE 'GLORY DAYS' OF MW.

BUNGLE

BUNGLE

Number of posts : 232

Back to top Go down

A trip to STW Towers Empty MWs v STW

Post  chrisnchrisroberts Sun 03 May 2009, 11:33 am

We visited the Warwick Engineering Exhibition in 2007. There we saw a man with a crowd around him so we just asked for the brochure on the 2"Burrell. The next day we turned up at the Daventry factory where we met Isabel. We were taken on a guided tour and were satisfied that they were good enough to supply what we wanted. We also bought a clock. We do not know what happened after that but we did get some kits. It was a while before things were straightened out, eg BT and credit card setup. But everything appears back to normal or as some of you say, even better. We have no complaints about STW. As we are now home in Australia we have the memories of our visit and one day, the finished Burrell. To all of you who put your problems on the forum, we find them very interesting and sometimes amusing. (especially the spelling). To those of you who have a problem, make your comments constructive, not destructive. Chris

chrisnchrisroberts

Number of posts : 123
Registration date : 2008-10-31

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down