Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Macbeth, my build

3 posters

Go down

Macbeth, my build Empty Macbeth, my build

Post  the governer Tue 07 Jan 2014, 8:29 pm

Happy new year all!

To keep this together for my own reference, I thought it prudent to start this as a new topic.

Once again, thanks for everyones input to date.

I have decided, I will go ahead and paint the wheels, well maybe not line yet! Axle kit can stay, fettled for now, until the smoke box comes.

What fun I had over the Christmas break, building the tender, and this leads to my question, which is gnawing away at me.

I built the tender as suggested, and it went together just loverly, sides, back/bottom and tender front panel, i only needed to ease two holes with a needle file. Offering up the tender top, the only way it would have gone in, would have been with the use of a very large hammer, and a degree of distortion! Careful work with the angle grinder had this fitting well.

Now to my question, if the fit of the tender to the hornplates, is not correct (widthwise), what is the method of "fitting". I am loathe to waterproof the tender, if it needs adjusting in the future.

Thanks in advance,
Mark.
the governer
the governer

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2013-10-06

Back to top Go down

Macbeth, my build Empty Re: Macbeth, my build

Post  IanL Tue 07 Jan 2014, 9:06 pm

I slackened the hornplate fittings so the horn plates could be moved slightly to allow the tender to fit then tightened every thing up. I found it was the thickness of the paint that caused the issue.
IanL
IanL

Number of posts : 437
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman Tue 07 Jan 2014, 10:20 pm

I was worried about the same thing, but when I fitted the Hornplates to the boiler and offered up the tender it slipped straight in.  Over Christmas I took it off again, and the hornplates, to fit the shafts and it well back together beautifully.

I am sure your will have no trouble when the time comes, all I would say is be a bit careful and keep the layers of paint thin in these areas and I am sure it will be fine, and as Ian said if your a bit tight due to paint thickness loosening the hornplates will help fit it together.
Robfishman
Robfishman

Number of posts : 1061
Registration date : 2010-11-26

http://www.robertfish.net

Back to top Go down

Post  the governer Fri 10 Jan 2014, 6:24 pm

I returned a call to STW today and spoke to Steve, my tender, measured widthwise from front bulkhead, measures 285mm so is 1mm shy of the designed 286mm. I shall still wait until I can assemble before I paint, it's the old watchmaker left in me! Very Happy
the governer
the governer

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2013-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down