Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who's Building the New Kits?

+5
the coleman
Robfishman
highpressure
lynnr
the governer
9 posters

Go down

Who's Building the New Kits? Empty Who's Building the New Kits?

Post  the governer Wed 04 Dec 2013, 8:14 pm

So, I/we have the first two kits of the road loco, burning a big hole here at home. I do have to get the workshop finished (as in built), and it's a tad close to Christmas, to start painting indoors. It's just sooooooooooooooo frustrating!!!!!!!!!Sad Sad 

Mark.
the governer
the governer

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2013-10-06

Back to top Go down

Who's Building the New Kits? Empty Re: Who's Building the New Kits?

Post  lynnr Wed 04 Dec 2013, 8:26 pm

I don't have anymore kits. Boohoo. I wish you well in the new build.

lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post  the governer Thu 19 Dec 2013, 12:17 am

Third kit arrived today, the tender...................... unpacked, ticked off against parts list, and boxed up again. Wot's lad to do! Yes I've fettled a bit with the axle and springs, front wheels temporarily assembled, and I'm so glad I went for vulcanised after reading some of the posts on "getting the rubber on" ooer!!!!!  Embarassed and after chrissy, i daresay, I just may assemble the tender and seal, well no " JUST MAY" about it, I shall assemble the tender and seal it, defo no painting til w'shop is built. At least it can all live indoors for now, so bits I clean, aren't getting too obviously rusted. Quick question on sealing the tender, is it worth treating as much as possible before assembly, as advised with the belly tanks, soz if this has been answered many times before, I've read so many of your previous posts, a veritable encyclopedia, and lots of bits of info are locked and loaded, but no bells ringing on the tender. Really ought to get off to bed!

Mark.
the governer
the governer

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Thu 19 Dec 2013, 2:15 pm

Oh yes!!

I painted the brake shaft housing almost to the joint before fitting, I painted the inside before fitting the end panel. The one closest to the boiler as it bolts on the outside. Painted to within a 1/4" of the mating areas then once attached a good dollop round the joints by feel through the inspection hole. A lot easier. Did the same on the water bowser and is described in that thread.
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure Thu 19 Dec 2013, 2:58 pm

If you are going to fit a duckboard in the tender foot plate you could do what Andy and I have done and cut the top plate to within an inch of the perimeter and then you can remove the whole sheet to get inside to seal, attach parts, clean and generally inspect. The cut cant be seen under the board and it makes it a lot easier to access. Andy bolts are stainless to lock it back down, I dont even have bolts, just let it lie loose and lift it up to fill etc. I'm sure if you ask nicely Andy may post a picture of it to aid visulisation.
highpressure
highpressure

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-06-18

http://www.simplydigitalaerials.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman Thu 19 Dec 2013, 7:23 pm

I had the same idea as Lynn but the last panel I fitted was the top, far easier and less messy than pouring in and rotating every 10 min or so.
Robfishman
Robfishman

Number of posts : 1061
Registration date : 2010-11-26

http://www.robertfish.net

Back to top Go down

Post  the governer Thu 19 Dec 2013, 8:51 pm

Thanks greatly for your responses. Now having access to a flow jet at work, the cut out top sounds like a plan!
the governer
the governer

Back to top Go down

Post  the coleman Fri 20 Dec 2013, 2:29 pm

[url=https://servimg.com/view/16620368/30]Who's Building the New Kits? Pc200116[/url
I ve done away with the original one and made a new one . Once the fittings are in the tender it will be sealed with 6 M5 s/steel bolts
the coleman
the coleman

Number of posts : 216
Registration date : 2011-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire Mon 23 Dec 2013, 10:39 am

the coleman wrote:Once the fittings are in the tender it will be sealed with 6 M5 s/steel bolts

Careful Andy, I sealed my top plate and it resulted in the tender being just about airtight, therefore when filling the belly tanks with water it was taking ages for it to go down the balance pipe. Luckily I fitted working water level taps on the tender, they need to be open to let the air rush out of the tender and the water in closing each one as the level reaches it.
bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Number of posts : 938
Registration date : 2010-09-07

Back to top Go down

Post  the coleman Mon 23 Dec 2013, 12:10 pm

Thanks Brian will do i have all ready thought about that iv got a vent which i will unscrew which  is next to the water pump pipes

Last edited by the coleman on Mon 23 Dec 2013, 12:15 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : wording)
the coleman
the coleman

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire Mon 23 Dec 2013, 12:55 pm

Is the vent a dipstick too??
bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Number of posts : 938
Registration date : 2010-09-07

Back to top Go down

Post  IanL Mon 23 Dec 2013, 1:51 pm

On mine I have fitted a float water level indicator and assume that it will vent as well.however, I do have working water level taps so now have a reason to use them.
Ian
IanL
IanL

Number of posts : 437
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post  the coleman Mon 23 Dec 2013, 4:13 pm

Yes its both il just undo vent /dipstick when filling up
the coleman
the coleman

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Watson Mon 23 Dec 2013, 9:16 pm

I have a float-based water indicator also, but extended the tube it runs in well above the level of the manstand to allow for the fact that the belly tank is higher than the tender tank. This also allows it to vent when filling.

Annoyingly, I have had a leak at the top of the tank at the front that allows water out of the tender when the engine is being pulled up the ramps with water in the belly tank (I know I could turn off the balance pipe valve, but usually forget). I have just re-sealed this area, so hopefully the engine won't be incontinent any more.

Tim
Tim Watson
Tim Watson

Number of posts : 585
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post  the governer Sat 28 Dec 2013, 12:21 am

As I started here, I'll continue. I started to put the tender together today, and ran into a frustrating problem! The 5BA rivbolts which hold the sides on, were what i considered to be a bit fiddly to get started, on close examination, a lot of the last two threads, were damaged, along with some rusty, and what looked like maybe water stained nuts. They were so tight, I couldn't get them started by finger, holding them loose, so 1 1/2 hours later, i had sorted out the ones which would start ok, from the ones which wouldn't, and using a grinder in the dremel, I ground down the leading threads on all the bad rivbolts. The continued assembly, was now so much easier, I ended up only having to ease one hole one each side with a needle file. So with both sides now attached, is this nut/bolt issue normal, or have i had an awkward batch? I am most interested in the comments of those in whose footsteps I follow. And really do hope, going forward I haven't got to pre assemble every nut and bolt, to check them!

Mark
the governer
the governer

Back to top Go down

Post  craig@STW Sat 28 Dec 2013, 7:15 am

can only apologize for what looks like a quality issue there mark  Embarassed 

without trying to make excuses it is hard for us to individually check 100's of rivet bolts, but yes they should have been check periodically when they were made.

please don't forget, we are more than happy to replace any parts that have manufacturing problems. i know this can be frustrating when your trying to get on with things but the offer is always there  Cool 
craig@STW
craig@STW

Number of posts : 1410
Registration date : 2010-05-06

Back to top Go down

Post  the governer Sat 28 Dec 2013, 10:26 am

Thanks Craig (the early bird), I didn't think they could be right, but you know what it's like when you want to crack on, hopefully they are in now, and the belly tank ones will be fine!

Mark.
the governer
the governer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down