Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Old guy building SRL

3 posters

Go down

Old guy building SRL Empty Old guy building SRL

Post  PaulB Fri 04 Mar 2022, 7:15 pm

Hi all
I've been reading the forum for some time and see others are staring their build similar to myself having now received the first two kits for the showman's.
I've previously build a 3" Little Samson from scratch so not too daunted by the work ahead of me but its always good to be able to access advice and support from others building similar projects.
The hardest challenge is going to be lining out the paintwork to as good a standard as the parts from STW. Anyone have any advice?

PaulB

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2022-03-04

Rosss likes this post

Back to top Go down

Old guy building SRL Empty Re: Old guy building SRL

Post  Simon C Fri 04 Mar 2022, 8:34 pm

Hi Paul
Firstly welcome on board.
Now to the lining Question, I make my own masking stencils as i have a vinyl cutter.
I start by reproducing the parts to be lined in my drawing program then add the line pattern required to that.
This method is incredibly time consuming but it gives me a chance to visualise the results before dipping a brush.
Others use the Burglar lining tool, I have one of those but I wasn't very successful with it.
I think it is one of those tools that takes practice and lots of it, and the rivets really complicated its use.
A third option is Finesse tapes, I have had some quite reasonable results with it on the boiler cladding of my SCC.
As for the paint I used One Shot signwriting paint, it covers in one coat as it is very thick and creamy and does not tend to run.
Use a soft bristle brush and draw along the tape line and not towards it as this tends to stack the paint against the tape edge and you loose the crispness of the line.
Remove the masking while the paint is still soft to allow the edges to settle and soften before the paint goes fully hard (around 1.5 to 2 hours with One Shot)
The link below is the supplier I use for tape and paint
https://www.stonehouses.co.uk/finesse-pinstriping-tape/
And this is the link to Lynnr lining video.
https://traction.forumotion.com/t2780-short-video-on-lining?highlight=lining
hope this all helps
Simon C
Simon C
Simon C

Number of posts : 303
Registration date : 2017-07-07

Rosss likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  PaulB Sat 05 Mar 2022, 9:47 am

Hi Simon
Thanks for your reply and the links. I'm fairly sure I will be going down the tape option as looking at the Burglar tool it looks rather cumbersome to handle.
I intend to wait a few weeks before lining the wheels as I want the base paint to properly cure before using any tape to ensure nothing lifts when the tape is removed.
In the mean time I've made a lining tool using an ink re-fill needle that I'm practicing with on scrap bits of plate. The results so far are not brill but getting better and very much depend on the paint's thickness and ambient temp. Still with another 30 or so kits to go I'll have plenty of time to practice!

Paul B

PaulB

Back to top Go down

Post  andyfletch Wed 16 Mar 2022, 12:55 pm

Hi Paul

I used finesse tape for lining, excellent for straight lines and no leakage! 1/16th inch from Craftmaster paints. I also used their paint, which worked really well. For the curves and "non straight" lines I bought a used Beugler pen via E bay, which does take a bit of practice - give yourself plenty of time, practice a lot on paper, make sure the wheel is rotating the right way (or you'll get blobs of paint). If you get it wrong, that's fine, just wipe off with white spirit and try again. Make sure your base paint is hard, as the Buegler pen has ridged wheels and will mark it if too soft.

photo of Rufus showing both methods!

Old guy building SRL Img_5510

Good Luck

Andy
andyfletch
andyfletch

Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2008-06-21

Back to top Go down

Post  PaulB Thu 17 Mar 2022, 8:09 pm

Hi Andy
Rufus looks really good and if I can get my lining as neat as yours I'll be well pleased.
I've been practicing with a cut down ink refill needle that I made a handle for but I'm not happy with the inconsistent results so don't think I will be using it on my build.
I've bought some finesse tape but not had the opportunity to try it yet. I'm not in any hurry as I want the base layer to fully cure before sticking tape to it and risk it lifting.

PaulB

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down