Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Likamobile road registration

3 posters

Go down

Likamobile road registration Empty Likamobile road registration

Post  He Who Must Not Be Blamed Fri 06 Sep 2013, 3:39 pm

Hello Likamobile owners,

I've searched all through the forum, but was unable to find any detailed information about how Likamobiles are registered for the road in the UK, or anywhere else in the EU, which should be the same. Are they classified as light or heavy quadricycles (category L6e/L7e)? If so, does the vehicle approval test require installing things like an electric horn, indicators and modern lighting?

Eric
He Who Must Not Be Blamed

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2013-08-02

Back to top Go down

Likamobile road registration Empty Lika Registration

Post  TB Mon 09 Sep 2013, 8:52 am

Hi Eric,
Register it as a steam vehicle, then it comes under the same category as traction engines, rollers etc. Someone from DVLA will want to inspect it then you pay an initial fee for registration and the tax disc is free. Road use insurance is required, so obviously full boiler insurance. DVLA are usually very helpful, but it can take some time.
TB

TB

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2008-06-20

Back to top Go down

Likamobile road registration Empty Re: Likamobile road registration

Post  He Who Must Not Be Blamed Mon 09 Sep 2013, 10:28 am

Thanks for your reply, TB.

I live outside the UK, in an EU country where there's no such thing as a specific registration for steam vehicles (so much for EU harmonisation). We do have a category for agricultural vehicles, but those are restricted to 25 km/h. Can't imagine a Likamobile would be classed as an agricultural vehicle, as it can do at least 45 km/h. That speed corresponds with the EU classifications for light and heavy quadricycles. The weight and speed of a Likamobile would probably cause it to fit in the L7e ('heavy') category.

The vehicle requirements for the L7e category include modern lighting and other newfangled things like speedometers and electric horns. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with getting a Likamobile through a single vehicle approval procedure for that category. If not, I'll probably have to contact the authorities in my country to see what can be done.

Eric

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Mon 09 Sep 2013, 10:31 am

Hi

Have a word with STW as there was an owner in the Netherlands with a Likamobile. They maybe able to put you in contact with him.
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post  He Who Must Not Be Blamed Mon 09 Sep 2013, 12:27 pm

Hi Lynn,

As far as I know, the Dutch Likamobile owner (Roel Rasker) managed to insure his car as an agricultural vehicle. Dutch agricultural vehicles are limited to 25 km/h, aren't registered and don't have number plates. The trouble is that in reality, a Likamobile can do considerably more than 25 km/h. If the insurance cover were ever called upon, the insurance company would look into the true speed potential of the vehicle, find that it is in fact much faster than an agricultural vehicle has a right to be and probably wouldn't cover any damage.

If I were to have a Likamobile (or a replica early Stanley from STW, which I haven't written off quite yet Wink ), I'd want to use it to its full potential, have a valid number plate on it and be insured. That's why I'm looking for ways to get it properly registered.

Eric

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down