Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another new builder from Australia

4 posters

Go down

Another new builder from Australia Empty Another new builder from Australia

Post  Hamish Lonsdale Fri 15 Mar 2013, 9:24 am

It is time to introduce myself as another 2" builder, this time from the coastal town of Barwon Heads which is south of Melbourne. I read Tabbycat1957's topic with interest, as we have followed the same path regarding boiler certification and the joining of a local Club (in my case the Geelong SMEE). I have had a career as a Systems Engineer, having emigrated to Oz in the early 70's. Before that I was a Commercial Apprentice with Rubery Owen and Co of Darleston which is where the engineering interest came from.
Semi retired, two married Daughters and my wife Jeannie, who makes jewelry. The decision to construct a 2" was made a lot easier by the help of Dean and Co and all the contributors to this group. I have been reading quietly for some time!
I would be very interested in corresponding with other Aussie builders, as our supply of local product like paint would be naturally different to the UK constructors.
Best wishes,
Hamish Lonsdale.
Hamish Lonsdale
Hamish Lonsdale

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2012-10-30

Back to top Go down

Another new builder from Australia Empty Re: Another new builder from Australia

Post  MrStationHouse Fri 15 Mar 2013, 9:53 am

We pommies promise to be nice to you and not to mention (very often that is) the state of Aus cricket. But suffice it to say it is nice to be looking down the rankings table rather than up!

With best wishes
Simon

MrStationHouse

Number of posts : 314
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Another new builder from Australia Empty Another builder from Australia

Post  Villa John Fri 15 Mar 2013, 9:26 pm

Good evening and welcome.

I signed up in November and have now got 2 kits, nos 2 and 3. Both look good but its too cold over here to venture into the garage for more than a few minutes. Have got a calor gas heater but was advised by some seemingly knowledgeable people not to use it as metal would rust. Well as one does if a slow learner or of an inquisitive nature one puts their theory?to the test. They were sufficiently correct to cause a rethink and retreat to the kitchen, which wasn't exactly welcomed with open arms.

I'm thinking it must be good for you right now to be able to work in the warm? Also, come winter, is the atmosphere dry so you won't get the humidity where you are and that we get over here?

I am really looking forward to this build and as soon as I have finished it I am going to order one of the new single crank road engines. Would order it now but present finances forbid two engine kits on the go at the same time!

I only took up model engineering after I retired

I have made with a lot of help a couple of very small stationary engines from a book by Tubal Caine but to be honest they each took me months to make, many parts had to be remade and at the end of the day they just sit on a shelf in the bookcase and that's it!

With the Burrells I am sure we are going to achieve engines to use and be proud of and without the aggravation and years of frustration of remaking bits!

Cheers to you and all our fellow builders,.

Villa John,

Villa John

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2012-11-23

Back to top Go down

Another new builder from Australia Empty Another new builder from Australia

Post  Tassie Tiger Tue 19 Mar 2013, 1:39 am

Welcome Hamish
I am building a 4inch single cylinder Burrell which I have had since Dec 2011 and am enjoying every minute of it. Finding the time is the hard part but I am getting there slowy. Getting a good paint finish is the hardest part for me as we cannot import Craftmaster paint and what we have to choose from is not as good. I am using 2 pak but that has it's problems also. I live near Launceston Tas so we are not that far away except for that bit of water. Any questions please ask as someone here will be able to help you. All the best Phil.

Tassie Tiger

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2012-01-01

Back to top Go down

Another new builder from Australia Empty Re: Another new builder from Australia

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down