Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What was your first encounter with steam power?

+9
chrisnchrisroberts
Robfishman
Rickster
Hecter
iain
SSGR
Tony King
ejparrott
lynnr
13 posters

Go down

What was your first encounter with steam power? Empty What was your first encounter with steam power?

Post  lynnr Tue 05 Mar 2013, 9:12 am

Hi all

Just wondering.

Mine was 1986 when we moved way up north and father got to inspect the loco's down at Strathspey Railway. Then my biggest steam boiler visit was to Wigans Teap paper mill in Fort William and their 175ft tall boiler. Got to climb up the inside of that one.
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

What was your first encounter with steam power? Empty Re: What was your first encounter with steam power?

Post  ejparrott Tue 05 Mar 2013, 10:30 am

Before I was born - does that count? Mother was a volunteer on the Talyllyn. Since then I've grown up with miniature steam (Dad was a model engineer before I was born, and I've carried on) and with full size steam be it 2'3" gauge Talyllyn or road steam vehicles.
ejparrott
ejparrott

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2012-09-27

Back to top Go down

What was your first encounter with steam power? Empty Re: What was your first encounter with steam power?

Post  Tony King Tue 05 Mar 2013, 2:20 pm

I built a Stuart Turner D10 steam engine for my "O level" metal work project at school, it was the first thing I was proud to have built, it got me top grades, which I have to say, was a real novilty for me, as I'm not much of an "acerdemic" Very Happy I went on to build most of the engines in the Stuart range, my favourite being their "Major Beam engine". I still have all the engines dotted around the house, plus a few in boxes, still waiting for me to machine & build. One, which I started but never finished, was a Stuart Compound Marine engine which would power a good size (ie full size) steam launch. Unfortunately I don't have access to machine tools big enough to complete it.
Now I've got used to STW way of doing things, I think it unlikely I'll ever finish it!!! Sad
I need to have more time...............Don't we all!!!
Regards,
Tony

Tony King

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-10-31

Back to top Go down

Post  SSGR Tue 05 Mar 2013, 5:52 pm

My first encounter was steaming a Wilesco traction engine model with my Grandfather when I was eight years old. Very happy memories!

John
SSGR
SSGR

Number of posts : 88
Registration date : 2012-05-14

Back to top Go down

Post  iain Tue 05 Mar 2013, 7:29 pm

My mum and dad used to help Alan Peglar with Scotsman before I was born, but then got into road engines helping t lincs life museum so I was brought up with it Smile i used to get all the good jobs. this photo was when I was 8:

What was your first encounter with steam power? 8532289270_03a18b57b9_c

I now own this (my dads just oiling up before a road run):

What was your first encounter with steam power? 6180350707_f6869bc798_z

which i rebuilt from this (the first picture makes it look better than it was! although the boiler had been done before i bought it):

What was your first encounter with steam power? 4158191431_859e1af8a9_z

What was your first encounter with steam power? 4534790295_6b6a2b095d_z

Before deciding to go with a STW Foden with an ambition to owning a full size Foden in the future.

iain

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2012-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Hecter Tue 05 Mar 2013, 7:35 pm

Was probably about 10 years ago or so dunno exact age 5-9 something like that when Grandad had a go on a Steam Train. Never driven anything steam or been up on board when it's moving not including steam trains Although i know someone who has a roller and used to drive one the last twins untill it was taken out of service a few years back but been going to the Bedfordshire steam and country Fayre for quite a few years on and off and will finally get to drive something when the Fodens done

Hecter

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2013-02-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Rickster Tue 05 Mar 2013, 9:13 pm

Mine was in 1968, my parents ran a pub in Dorset where we used to hold a steam steam party on or around my birthday in July where the late great Mike Oliver brought his organ, Arthur Field his Fowler roller, "Fippeny Queen", Dave Antell with Fowler single agricultural engine "Dreadnought", his brother John with his Wallis Advance, Steve Hubbock and others. In the early years that followed, we used to do the beer tent at what was then known locally as Bushes Road, near Stourpaine where it all started.
If you have the book written by Steve, "Dorset, 40 not out, there are a few pictures of "The Royal Oak" pub and how we got involved is all in there. It's a fascinating read if anyone gets the chance to pick it up.

Rickster

Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman Tue 05 Mar 2013, 11:43 pm

I've no idea, I used to get "dragged" round all the steam fairs when I was a kid, together with all the preserved railways and steam ships. My earliest recollection was going on a trip to Weymouth from Southampton on the Waverley, I remember standing for ages watching the engine running, and the trips with the caravan to Stourpaine Bushes (now the Great Dorset Steam Fair) both would have been in the late 1970's & very early 1980's. From there my passion grew, and I was hooked.
Robfishman
Robfishman

Number of posts : 1061
Registration date : 2010-11-26

http://www.robertfish.net

Back to top Go down

Post  chrisnchrisroberts Wed 06 Mar 2013, 10:12 pm

Triple Expansion Marine steam engine with exhaust turbine, every pump etc was driven by a small steam engine. This was on a small cargo ship which took 7 days to do a trip which on a modern steam turbine ship did it in 3.

chrisnchrisroberts

Number of posts : 123
Registration date : 2008-10-31

Back to top Go down

Post  mikero Wed 06 Mar 2013, 10:34 pm

I was given the remains of a Mammod engine in 1955, it took me until 1957 to get it working.

Mike
mikero
mikero

Number of posts : 261
Registration date : 2011-07-19

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire Wed 06 Mar 2013, 11:28 pm

First memory is of being taken onto Blackburn railway station by one of my Grandads to see the trains, abou 3 years old probably. I always remember it as we seemed to stand very close to the edge as the train arrived and the loco wheels and valve gear towered over me as it went past. Both sets of grandparents encouraged it, one with the raliways and one with the steam rallies so I have always had a liking for both and have veered one way or the other during my life. First engine was a Mamod roller at the age of 9 or 10.

First real hands on experience with railway engines was the Blackburn MES driving a 3 1/2" gauge Rob Roy (0-6-0 tank engine). Progressed to bigger locos in this and bigger gauges including a weekend on the Welshpool and Llanffair during one of the vintage weekend in June. I am also a member of the Stockholes Farm Miniature Railway, a privately owned 7 1/4" gauge railway int he owners back garden.

First Traction Engine experience was steering a full size aveling tractor at a show in Dumfries around 20 years ago after meeting the owner at a pub in the area during a holiday there. Interesting fact is that I recently saw that very same engine in a photo in either Old Glory or Vintage Spirit, it was part of a report on a Steam Museum in a far off country (South Africa possibly) so it looks like the owner sold it to someone for the Museum. The reason I recognised it was the fact it still had the same livery which was the owners own creation, it had New Abbey Steam Cartage or something like that on the canopy and a picture of the old Abbey itself. The pub was in New Abbey village on the Solway coast road between Dalbeatie and Dumfries.

I neve thought I would ever be driving the Steam Yachts fairground ride though, a real privillage. I first rode them in 1988 at the Scarbourough Steam Rally on Olivers Mount and they certainly left their impression on me then.

bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Number of posts : 938
Registration date : 2010-09-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Watson Thu 07 Mar 2013, 7:32 am

The traction engine rallies at Woburn Abbey in the 1960's. I had a Mamod traction engine which was taken for walks around the village - an early love of road runs.

Tim
Tim Watson
Tim Watson

Number of posts : 585
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

What was your first encounter with steam power? Empty Ploughing engines

Post  burrell1 Thu 07 Mar 2013, 4:15 pm

I have two vivid memories of traction engines in the late 1950’s. The first was of a steam roller repairing our road when I lived in Chelmsford. The second was of a pair of ploughing engines working in a field near my grand parent’s house near Bury St Edmunds. I think that it was the ploughing engines that sparked my interest in traction engines. Last year the East Anglian Daily Times published a picture of the ploughing engines I had seen all those years ago. As a result of this article I wrote to the news paper and explained my story. By pure chance I was able to make contact with the owner of the ploughing engine and to have a chat with him. He no longer owns the traction engines as he is long retired but he still lives in the village in a house opposite the field in which I had seen him working with the ploughing engines (Small world) I have since been told that they held Steam Rallies in the village and I have been given some photos.

What was your first encounter with steam power? Newspa10

burrell1

Number of posts : 156
Registration date : 2008-06-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down