Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hi - from another new person

+2
lynnr
ClaudiaPB
6 posters

Go down

Hi - from another new person Empty Hi - from another new person

Post  ClaudiaPB Mon 10 Dec 2012, 5:12 pm

Hello,

I've just got my first couple of kits and am looking forward to getting started. I'm a bit worried as I got stuck on the first paragraph of the first kit instructions, I thought fillet was a bit of fish with the bones taken out, I had to call a friend for a translation of what it was. No idea what a T joint is either. I've no experience of metalwork and now have a bad feeling I won't manage this build, but gonna give it a go anyway. No doubt I will be stuck on paragraph 2 by tomorrow, but am being kept busy with endless filing of front wheels for now. Some photos in the instructions, and equipment list would be handy - anyone else agree?

ClaudiaPB

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2012-12-10

Back to top Go down

Hi - from another new person Empty Re: Hi - from another new person

Post  lynnr Mon 10 Dec 2012, 6:58 pm

ClaudiaPB wrote:Hello,

I've just got my first couple of kits and am looking forward to getting started. I'm a bit worried as I got stuck on the first paragraph of the first kit instructions, I thought fillet was a bit of fish with the bones taken out, I had to call a friend for a translation of what it was. No idea what a T joint is either. I've no experience of metalwork and now have a bad feeling I won't manage this build, but gonna give it a go anyway. No doubt I will be stuck on paragraph 2 by tomorrow, but am being kept busy with endless filing of front wheels for now. Some photos in the instructions, and equipment list would be handy - anyone else agree?

"Fillet" translates to fill it up.
"T" ring is a strip of metal shaped like a T and bent into a ring. Ie the wheel.

The best thing to do is read the photo threads as there is a large selection of pictures and instructions on each and every bit of these engines.

Also DON'T PANIC. If in doubt ask! None of us on here will think anything less of you. Very big well done for taking on this wonderful project. Please please see it throu to the end. The drawings should be fine as the 4" is quite a mature kit also find the download of the 3D drawing and run that. It will allow you to see every bit (except nuts and bolts) of the engine and where it goes and which way round. My showman engine is my first time constructions something this large and complicated. When a kit arrives. I unpack and check the contents against the packing list. This confirms everything is there and also introduces new words and descriptions for items. So when you see in the instructions that "do da thingy" fits into the "whatcha me call it" you have a inclination of what it is. Read the instructions slowly 2 times. Look at the parts and match up with the instructions. Tinker and try the parts. Remember if it does not fit it is most likely incorrectly assembled. Lay the parts out on the drawing if that helps to visualise what Steve's excellent instructions are on about.

Hope this helps a bit or just dismiss as my rumblings.

lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post  ejparrott Mon 10 Dec 2012, 8:55 pm

ClaudiaPB wrote:I've no experience of metalwork and now have a bad feeling I won't manage this build,

You soon will, and you will..plenty of help avaliable, and once you get started you'll soon learn. The first thing to do is learn the difference between a nut and a bolt, after that it comes quickly.
ejparrott
ejparrott

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2012-09-27

Back to top Go down

Post  hudmut Mon 10 Dec 2012, 9:35 pm

Im only a hr up the road from you your more than welcome to come have a look over my enigne pick my barins or use my machines if needs be as i find seeing somethings over reading about it is a lot better help or at most if you want my number PM me and ill send it to you.
hudmut
hudmut

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2010-07-05

https://s249.photobucket.com/albums/gg203/hudmut/My%20little%20se

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman Tue 11 Dec 2012, 12:41 am

I was in the same position having never worked with metal either, or done and spray painting or anything like this so I know how you feel. As already said take it slow and you'll be fine. We have been there before ourselves and if in doubt someone on the forum always has the answer. If not STW towers will know.
Robfishman
Robfishman

Number of posts : 1061
Registration date : 2010-11-26

http://www.robertfish.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Steam Traction World Tue 11 Dec 2012, 8:36 am

Hi Claudia,

Don't panic. You CAN do it. After meeting you on a number of occasions I have NO doubt you are more than capable.

Everyone on the forum will help where ever they can. Steve is available on the other end of the phone if you need to talk something over.

Good advice above.....take your time, slowly to start with and if in doubt never be afraid to ask. It is almost impossible to totally 'cock' something up and if you do then i'm sure we'll have spares on the shelf.

Most importantly.....enjoy it....don't let it stress you out and if it starts to take a breather to get your thoughts together. REMEMBER.....We are only up the road from you and you are always welcome to pop in.

Once you've finished this you are going to have the most amazing feeling of satisfaction (much more than your purple Caterham!! lol) so stick it out as I promise you it'll be worth it.

There was me thinking a 'fillet' was a cut of beef Very Happy Very Happy

Dean

Steam Traction World
Admin

Number of posts : 946
Registration date : 2008-06-18

http://www.steamtractionworld.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  ClaudiaPB Tue 11 Dec 2012, 9:45 am

Thanks for the advice everyone, the encouragement is appreciated. I'm not panicking just yet, I am thoroughly enjoying myself making showers of sparks and playing with the grinder - never used one before, so its a learning curve. So excited about doing this, and yes, I am reading everything several times over before starting, as generally I can answer my own questions with a bit of thinking. Thanks for the offer hudmut, be great to get in touch, as I agree it can sometimes help to see something rather than reading. Look forward to chatting to you all again soon Smile

ClaudiaPB

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2012-12-10

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Tue 11 Dec 2012, 10:10 am

Remember PICTURES please!
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down