Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lights for a road loco

+3
Tony King
Robfishman
tractor mike
7 posters

Go down

Lights for a road loco Empty Lights for a road loco

Post  tractor mike Sun 11 Nov 2012, 7:02 pm

Im after some lights for my road loco, Where would it be best to get the lights for the road loco and what sort price are they
tractor mike
tractor mike

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2012-01-29

Back to top Go down

Lights for a road loco Empty Re: Lights for a road loco

Post  Robfishman Sun 11 Nov 2012, 8:00 pm

I got mine from here...... http://www.forest-classics.co.uk/Engine%20Lamps.htm

Lights for a road loco 7152466617_bc0b5c4a70
Front End Lining IMG_4237 by Robert R&N, on Flickr

Lights for a road loco 7006378046_a4daa348e5
Front End Lining IMG_4241 by Robert R&N, on Flickr

Also got the rear light but not fitted it yet. If you do get these let me know and I'll send you the link to the drawing I did for the brackets, although you'll probably want yours higher up.
Robfishman
Robfishman

Number of posts : 1061
Registration date : 2010-11-26

http://www.robertfish.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony King Mon 12 Nov 2012, 8:28 am

For a very "traditional" type of lamp, you could try M J engineering (www.mjeng.co.uk)
These are fitted to my Agricultural engine, sorry about picture quality:-

Lights for a road loco Te168

Lights for a road loco Te264

Lamps are expensive but beautifully made, whatever type you go for.... Expect to pay over £100.00 per lamp.... Still worth it in my opinion!!
Regards,
Tony

Tony King

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-10-31

Back to top Go down

Lights for a road loco Empty road loco lights

Post  tractor mike Mon 12 Nov 2012, 4:49 pm

thanx for these pics guys its good to see the different choices of lights and if there is anymore different styles put them on if u could please Very Happy
tractor mike
tractor mike

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2012-01-29

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Thu 29 Nov 2012, 5:30 pm

Has anyone actually light any of the lamps and how much light do they put out?
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure Thu 29 Nov 2012, 5:46 pm

Yes we did ours on the night run.... in a darkened street you could make out they were lit but they are just a dim glow. More for show than use. I will take a picture at the weekend at the docks as it will be dark by the time we finish on Saturday.
highpressure
highpressure

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-06-18

http://www.simplydigitalaerials.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman Thu 29 Nov 2012, 10:12 pm

Yes I'll go along with that, mine are the same in that you can tell they are lit but they don't give out much light. The wick is not set right on the rear lamp hence there is no even light in the glass. (they also get quite hot!!)

Lights for a road loco 8231158438_fd15fd2cc4
IMG_0405 by Robert R&N, on Flickr

Lights for a road loco 8231158556_231866ea6a
IMG_0407 by Robert R&N, on Flickr

Lights for a road loco 8230095937_03decc282a
IMG_0409 by Robert R&N, on Flickr
Robfishman
Robfishman

Number of posts : 1061
Registration date : 2010-11-26

http://www.robertfish.net

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire Fri 30 Nov 2012, 12:23 am

I have the same lamps for Blackbeard and on a rally field with all the other lights on around the fair and beer tent you will probably not see them so much but they will no doubt look authentic. However, using some very cheap LED keyring torches I aim to make mine good enough for using on the road.

These are the three LED torches I bought at Onslow Park rally for £2 each, my friend even managed to buy a couple of them some while ago now from one of the pound shops - for a pound. They are a very intense light as they are.

Lights for a road loco Small_13

They come apart like this allowing you to re assemble them through a hole in a peice if thin sheet metal if the hole is made a clearanace fit for the threaded portion of the rear cover!

Lights for a road loco Small_14

Lights for a road loco Small_15

The thickness of shet metal required is 0.6mm as this is the thickness of the base plate for the burner in the lamp. I have not done the plate design yet but I intend it to be something that is laser cut and folded from one piece but once I have it done I will post it on here if anyone is interested in this modification. I certainly think it will be better than just using cycling lamps, far more authentic. In fact I will be ordering them from Malcolm High at Model Engineers Laser and maybe getting more than just my three made at once will help the price a bit.

Lights for a road loco Small_16

Here is how bright the lamps are with the LED inside. The torch was just balanced on something to get the height roughly on the centre line of the bullseye glass and there was no opportunity to slide the torch back and forth to find the optimal beam for this demonstration. Different distances from the bullseye give a very different beam size when playing with it in the dark garage. The surroundings on the photo are dark because the light was so bright from the lamp, the garage has five flourecent tubes making for a very bright area to work in normally.

Lights for a road loco Small_17
bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Number of posts : 938
Registration date : 2010-09-07

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Fri 30 Nov 2012, 8:11 am

Nice to see some examples. Does help the buying process. The LED road run option is very good as it also keeps the engine compliant. The oil lamp with an electronic replacement is the way to go.

Not sure from your post but is there enough too and fro for focusing you little torches? Or do we need a friendly electronics engineer to make some custom flat LED units? I know of one very close to my seat. Oh. That's me.
lynnr
lynnr

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony King Fri 30 Nov 2012, 8:36 am

Is this yet another talent of yours Lynn? Very Happy
Are you "up" for knocking up some "flat" LED's what ever they are Shocked
I'd cirtainly be in the market for a set for my lamps............... Go on put them organ pipes on hold for a couple of days & go for the light fantastic cheers
Regards,
Tony

Tony King

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-10-31

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Fri 30 Nov 2012, 9:19 am

Hi Tony

LOL.

I need to order my Christmas gift from Santa first. 2 front and 1 rear lamps. SO no work can be done until after the 25th Dec. It is quite a simple item to do. I will have a look at the price and let you know.

Now if I put RGB LED's in with a small RaspberryPi to control them we could get a nice light show out the front of the engine Very Happy Or Duel White light with amber flashers for on the road. Smile

lynnr
lynnr

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Fri 30 Nov 2012, 9:26 am

Santa. We have a problem!

Frost Classic don't do the lamps anymore. Crying or Very sad
lynnr
lynnr

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire Fri 30 Nov 2012, 9:52 am

lynnr wrote:Now if I put RGB LED's in with a small RaspberryPi to control them we could get a nice light show out the front of the engine Very Happy
This suggestion could only come from a Showmans engine owner!! Razz

Don't worry Lynn, Berrybrook Steam also do the same lamps - just don't look at their trailers, you might be tempted.

http://www.berrybrooksteam.co.uk/for-sale/lamps

Also, there is enough movement, it does not take much positional change to make quite a difference and you dont want them to close as you see the six LEDs quite clearly then. In the picture I took the lamp bas balanced in the centre of a small roll of emrey cloth whcih just happened to put the lamp at the right hight and I would sat aht the LEDs were approximately an inch frm the back of the lens. I think it will work fine and they are off the shelf with what look like decent size batteries.
bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Number of posts : 938
Registration date : 2010-09-07

Back to top Go down

Post  ejparrott Fri 30 Nov 2012, 11:55 am

Great minds must think alike....I've only been thinking this week about doing the very same thing with the lamp on my 3½" gauge Hunslet. It does run on oil, but only if you leave the door open!
ejparrott
ejparrott

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2012-09-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down