Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

between the smokebox and the boiler

2 posters

Go down

between the smokebox and the boiler  Empty between the smokebox and the boiler

Post  tractor mike Tue 23 Oct 2012, 7:46 pm

hello to everybody, can i ask a couple questions, is there any sealant to go between the smokebox and the boiler? and is there any sealant to go between the cylinder bloke and the boiler, hope everybody is getting on well with there build, i will post some pics over the next couple days to show how im getting on.
tractor mike
tractor mike

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2012-01-29

Back to top Go down

between the smokebox and the boiler  Empty Re: between the smokebox and the boiler

Post  lynnr Tue 23 Oct 2012, 7:52 pm

Hi Mike

No jointing compound between smokebox and boiler. It will possibly drip a couple of time but will seal up.

Cylinder to boiler will have 2 gaskets and a uniform smear of folic gunge between each and the metal.

Both details are specified in the very good instructions from Steve.

lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post  tractor mike Tue 23 Oct 2012, 7:59 pm

hi lynn thats great, i havent got to fitting the cylinder bloke yet but i thought i would ask before i get there and i couldnt see anything about the smokebox/boiler thats why i thought i would double check, thanx for the reply and i see u have yours in steam and it looks great on the video, well done i bet your real pleased
tractor mike
tractor mike

Back to top Go down

between the smokebox and the boiler  Empty Re: between the smokebox and the boiler

Post  lynnr Tue 23 Oct 2012, 8:10 pm

Very pleased as this is the first time for me building an engine. Only had a short time with a friend north of Daventry last feb for a learning session.

I did a great number of hours test steaming before she even moved an inch! I think about 50 hours in total. I was confident in all the reciprocating and rotational parts. But absolutely no experience of the steam side. Father was a mechanical inspector for RSA before retiring so kept me in check.
lynnr
lynnr

Back to top Go down

Post  tractor mike Tue 23 Oct 2012, 8:29 pm

im gladded u are happy, u have done a good job and hopefully mine turns out the same, im like u, its all a new experience i do very little with steam, im a tractor man really and now my collection has grown that much i running out of storage room, i wanted to do something different and i want my boy to get in with steam so i thought i would take the plunge and build a road loco
tractor mike
tractor mike

Back to top Go down

between the smokebox and the boiler  Empty between the cylinder and the boiler

Post  tractor mike Wed 07 Nov 2012, 5:39 pm

it may sound stupid but like ive said before im new to this steam business so u wil get silly questions from me, but on the top of the boiler where the cylinder sits there is 7 threaded holes, is there a reason for them to be threaded and does anything go in them many thanx
tractor mike
tractor mike

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Wed 07 Nov 2012, 6:08 pm

Simple answer.

When the boiler was pressure tested. All holes need to be filled hence all holes a threaded to take blanking plugs/studs

There is multi holes in stead of one big one as multi holes reduce the water lift effect during high steam demand.

lynnr
lynnr

Back to top Go down

between the smokebox and the boiler  Empty between the cylinder and the boiler

Post  tractor mike Wed 07 Nov 2012, 6:17 pm

hi lynn thats great, its a good job your on here many thanx
tractor mike
tractor mike

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down