Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"His Majesty" progress kit 25!

+2
lynnr
highpressure
6 posters

Go down

"His Majesty" progress kit 25! Empty "His Majesty" progress kit 25!

Post  highpressure Sat 25 Aug 2012, 5:06 pm

Had a good day today getting some of the latest kit fitted in preparation for a visit to Rudgewick Steam Rally tomorrow. Fitted 1st and 2nd gear lever without any trouble at all, just lined up straight out of the box and pulls either cog as easy as you like. Havent got into 3rd yet as it requires removal of the gear cluster as I currently dont have third on as the carrier isnt running true. Dont know what to do or even to check to see if this can be erradicated so will wait to speak to Steve next week at Dorset, of course now its fitted with the keys knocked in its not so easy just to whip it off to have a look under or behind!!! Evil or Very Mad

Then fitted the whistle pull on the siren, sorted out the whistle valve ( hopefully ) finally finished off the belly tank and sealed the end covers on, fitted the collar on the RH wheel and made a seat!!! Possibly temporary but may be improved to be the actual seat after the trial run tomorrow. Two person but with small bums as it only really fits one cheek each!! Embarassed Although not too difficult to lengthen ( the seat that is not the cheek!!! Shocked ) Basically it hangs on the bunker extension and then has two pegs that hold it in place in the tow strap. A picture tomorrow.

So all systems go for a proper drive, with my little boy as steersman, both cant wait to try it out.. cheers cheers

Then just the one kit left... Sad What to do after that???????
highpressure
highpressure

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-06-18

http://www.simplydigitalaerials.com

Back to top Go down

"His Majesty" progress kit 25! Empty Succesful arena run at Rudgewick

Post  highpressure Sun 26 Aug 2012, 10:06 pm

After fitting the drive gears and collar a good day at Rudgewick Steam and Country show today even got brave enough to venture into the arena but only did one circuit as I didnt wan to push my luck, heres the link.

highpressure
highpressure

Back to top Go down

"His Majesty" progress kit 25! Empty Re: "His Majesty" progress kit 25!

Post  lynnr Sun 26 Aug 2012, 11:21 pm

Hi

Like the video. She looks wonderful.

On the 3rd gear. The support boss will nock off quite easily with some gentle heat around the flange. Set the crank so the keys are at the top. Heat and I used a post peg hammer block, high density plastic thingie. 3 moderate blows had the part off.

Check the ring on the 3rd gear as mine came off today with little pressure. Now welded on!
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Graeme81 Mon 27 Aug 2012, 12:39 am

looking great, thanks for sharing the video
Graeme81
Graeme81

Number of posts : 178
Registration date : 2009-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure Mon 27 Aug 2012, 8:20 am

lynnr wrote:Hi

She?? She??? HIS Majesty!!!! Laughing Laughing
highpressure
highpressure

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Mon 27 Aug 2012, 11:56 am

highpressure wrote:
lynnr wrote:Hi

She?? She??? HIS Majesty!!!! Laughing Laughing

Leg pull. Dingaling
lynnr
lynnr

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure Mon 27 Aug 2012, 2:58 pm

Had it been a female then it would surely have been far more temperamental and troublesome Wink Wink
highpressure
highpressure

Back to top Go down

Post  Flasback Mon 27 Aug 2012, 3:21 pm

Kev, looks great, Linnr is right about the 3rd gear, had to just take all the right hand side apart and pulled off the gear for welding Mad . I hope this is the last time I need to remove the gearing before its in steam and I can also lock down the RH side.

I can't wait to see others in steam, who will be the first to have a SM running around a field under its own power! We are still hoping to have both SMs at the Leigh Arms in October (1st weekend) in steam (only ticking over as will need a ticket).

Dwain

Flasback

Number of posts : 191
Registration date : 2011-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Mon 27 Aug 2012, 4:30 pm

Flasback wrote:Kev, looks great, Linnr is right about the 3rd gear, had to just take all the right hand side apart and pulled off the gear for welding Mad . I hope this is the last time I need to remove the gearing before its in steam and I can also lock down the RH side.

I can't wait to see others in steam, who will be the first to have a SM running around a field under its own power! We are still hoping to have both SMs at the Leigh Arms in October (1st weekend) in steam (only ticking over as will need a ticket).

Dwain

No pressure allowed in public place without steam ticket as no insurance.
lynnr
lynnr

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure Mon 27 Aug 2012, 5:17 pm

Yes Dwain, Lynn is correct in that you cant light up at all without a ticket at any pressure. All the dos I have been to need to see both the tickets before they will let you set a fire.

My problem with the third gear carrier is that it is "wobbling" when turning so if I put the gear and lever on it is likely to bind. Dont thinkk there is a n issue with the crank but not sure how I can sort it without STW help. Gear itself is on the bench so wont be a problem to weld it if ness.
highpressure
highpressure

Back to top Go down

"His Majesty" progress kit 25! Empty Yet more stuff plated

Post  highpressure Wed 05 Sep 2012, 5:25 pm

Having fitted all the gears etc as a test fit it all went off for plating on Monday. Decided to get lots of bots done this time, tow pins, brake retainers, all the bits from kit 25. Wasn't sure if they could do clear handles and black bodies but that is no probs for them at all. The finish is second to none and I only dropped it off on Monday morning and picked it up at 1pm today!! Even better than that the whole lot only cost 50 quid!!! including all of "The Colemans" fire door assembly. Fitted some bits today and hoping to get the rest on later this evening and tomorrow so I can try a run here on Saturday and get a feel for the road gears and make sure nothing else falls off before the do at Amberley next weekend.

There is also an extensive mod that I have been brave enough to carry out after consulting with a full size owner and learning that all Burrell full size were made this way. As soon I have the piece in my hand I will post some pictures of it.

The platers are more than happy to take postal deliveries and send back items anywhere for anyone else who is not local to here. They use a system known as Electroless Nickel plating which as the name suggests does not use an electrode as the donor for the metal, it gives a very uniform finish which is much superior to the old type of plating. If anyone is interetsed they are Macro Developments Metal Finishers, Unit 2 Limberline Spur, Limberline Estate, Portsmouth. 02392 696615. Ask for Duncan.

"His Majesty" progress kit 25! Img_0316

"His Majesty" progress kit 25! Img_0317

Decided that paiting certain bits would be more trouble than it is worth and also adds to the dimensions, the plating is about 15 microns which doesnt interfere with any of the threads or fit.

"His Majesty" progress kit 25! Img_0318

"His Majesty" progress kit 25! Img_0319

Having been fortunate enough to get on the manstand of "The President" at Dorset I wanted to make the gear assembly black but not the handles which was no issue at all and had just the right result. More progress when this is altogether. Cool
highpressure
highpressure

Back to top Go down

Post  chop Wed 05 Sep 2012, 5:46 pm

Hi kev which kit did the tow pins come in ?. Engine is looking superb by the way.
chop
chop

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2010-03-06

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure Wed 05 Sep 2012, 7:28 pm

Ahh! That'll be kit 30 ( unless you happen to have visited the factory and craftily asked for a couple ) Might need to give a gentle reminder to Steve before it leaves to get all the bits thrown in to that kit such as firing irons and chimney extension etc.

Thanks for the compliment, the crew of " President " were quite impressed too and to see it in real life it does look very close, I'm really happy with it and can't wait to see the roof in place to really finish it off. Hopefully this weekend I'll try and get some shots of it in its almost finished state. The box of bits waiting to be fitted has almost completely gone now, even down to finer details such as two whistle pulls for the siren and whistle, and the right angle doobry for the lifter. Annoyingly the flywheel won't be lined as the paint won't be hard enough for the tape not to mark and but it is black and red.
highpressure
highpressure

Back to top Go down

Post  Rickster Wed 05 Sep 2012, 7:48 pm

Hi Kev,
That plating does look good. I think I will send my levers off to them.

I did the mod on the mill on Sunday on the 3rd gear boss you told me about - quite simple to do if you have a mill or even if you don't, it would be a bit longer with a hacksaw , but not much after setup.

Fine looking engine you have built there by the way.

cheers

Rick

Rickster

Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down