Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Santa came early...

4 posters

Go down

Santa came early... Empty Santa came early...

Post  highpressure Fri 09 Dec 2011, 4:10 pm

I love getting home and finding something I wasnt expecting and to day was very pleased to get home to all small packet with both makers plates for the valve covers in. Very Happy santa

They look really nice and fit beautifully. I love these little bits almost more than the intricate machined stuff, its these little details that make it look like a truely authentic miniature. I now need to decide how to paint them, Jo can you let your secret out as to how to get a good background??

Nearly ready to get some photos taken have made some real progress during the evenings this week. Cant wait for the next two weeks if the deliveries can be made ( I do realise some of this hangs on others delivering to the factory )

Kev.
highpressure
highpressure

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-06-18

http://www.simplydigitalaerials.com

Back to top Go down

Santa came early... Empty Re: Santa came early...

Post  Kevster Sat 10 Dec 2011, 7:25 am

My nameplates arrived too,

As for painting I will spray the whole lot then once its nice and dry hold the plate face down on some wet and dry and polish the paint off the letters.

Kev
Kevster
Kevster

Number of posts : 424
Registration date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure Sat 10 Dec 2011, 8:52 am

Hi Kev,

I had considered this but I think it should have etch primer to key to the brass properly and then if its just run of the mill paint I fear the heat will discolour it as can happen with the name rings on the door. I have been thinking about some form of enamel but dont know how to apply or cure it. I remember something back at school about making our own jewellery in a craft class and we used powdered enamel and cured it in a small kiln. Can this be done at home??

Cheers Kev.
highpressure
highpressure

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-06-18

http://www.simplydigitalaerials.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman Sat 10 Dec 2011, 11:20 am

Enameling can be done in a flame and was in ancient times done on a hearth, but nowadays it is considered standard practice to work in an electric kiln. You will need a unit that can achieve and sustain temperatures of 1000°C (1830°F). It would be better if it was kilm can provide a small vacuumed as this will draw out the air bubbles.

Not sure this could be done at home.

Also many enamels are not acid resistant.
Robfishman
Robfishman

Number of posts : 1061
Registration date : 2010-11-26

http://www.robertfish.net

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire Sun 11 Dec 2011, 1:17 am

Kev

I used Halfords engine paint on the name ring, it claims it resisits 600 degrees. No primer is necessary.

For the nameplates I used car paint but not with primer. Dian Carney's instructions just recommended a good clean with scouring powder, rinse very well and allow to dry. I actually used Cilit Bang with an (old) toothbrush for the cleaning agent.

Fine wet and dry on a flat surface rubbing the part on it is the way to clean paint off afterwards, I finished off with some used pieces that were almost clogged and the shined up really well.

Brian
bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Number of posts : 938
Registration date : 2010-09-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevster Sun 11 Dec 2011, 6:34 am

I have used halfords high temperature paint too dont think you can use a primer under it though it might just peel off with the heat.

I sprayed the chimey on my 3" burrell with bbq paint ,the first time it had a primer as a base coat and parts started to come off with the heat ,so I rubbed it back to bare metal(its made of copper)then sprayed the bbq paint directly to it it it has been fine ever since.
Halfords sell engine paint and high temperature brake caliper paint too.

Kev

Kevster
Kevster

Number of posts : 424
Registration date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down