Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

first seaming questions and tips

3 posters

Go down

first seaming questions and tips Empty first seaming questions and tips

Post  forge Tue 02 Aug 2011, 10:29 pm

Hi all,
I am going to try to steam my 2" burrell this weekend for the first time.
can anyone give me some tips. I have read the steaming instructions sent with the last kit study , but would like to know of any issues others have found.
a list of useful tips and ideas would be most useful for me, being a novice at these things!
thanks
Jon
forge
forge

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

first seaming questions and tips Empty Best tip

Post  lynnr Wed 03 Aug 2011, 8:21 am

Don't Panic
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

first seaming questions and tips Empty Re: first seaming questions and tips

Post  andyc Wed 03 Aug 2011, 7:00 pm

Hi,

If it was me i would fill the tender with water and run the engine on compressed air to ensure that the axle pump / bypass was working correctly. This will also fill the boiler up for you. Atleast then you are confident that you can get water into the boiler, especially as i believe that the injectors as supplied aren't particularly great and people have struggled to get them to pick up.

Also it is good to blow down new boilers regularly to get rid of any "rubbish" left in there from the construction process and i have always found that on smaller engines the gauge glass needs blowing down very frequently to ensure accurate water level readings.

For fuel, on 2" engines i have had much better results with anthracite than with any other coal, and when the engine is not working hard you will probably need to have the blower just cracked open to keep the fire lively.

Hope this helps and apologise if this was egg sucking for you.

regards

Andy

andyc

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2010-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post  forge Wed 03 Aug 2011, 7:33 pm

Thanks andy,
I have run the engine on air so i know the pump works, not too sure about the injector! will see how i get on. i have a plan to fill the boiler with water, having fitted a valve to one of the washout plugs. I hope to be able to gravity fill using a funnel with the water lifter valve open to let the air out as she fills...

i will update all on progress over the weekend as Saturday is now First steam day! Very Happy
forge
forge

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down