Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Burrell boiler fixings ?

5 posters

Go down

Burrell boiler fixings ? Empty Burrell boiler fixings ?

Post  BUNGLE Mon 22 Sep 2008, 3:39 pm

HI STEVE, WONDERING IF THERE IS ANY UPDATE ON THE E.T.A FOR THE BOILER FIXINGS, PLUG, ETC.

REGARDS
BRUCE

BUNGLE

Number of posts : 232
Registration date : 2008-06-17

Back to top Go down

Burrell boiler fixings ? Empty Re: Burrell boiler fixings ?

Post  Steam Traction World Wed 24 Sep 2008, 7:35 pm

Hi Bruce

The fixing etc for the boiler will be despatched tomorrow (Thursday). It would have been Tuesday but when the 5" gauge parts were being cleared out, the fusible plugs intended for our 2" Burrell got taken as well!

We got them back today.

Regards

Steve

Steam Traction World
Admin

Number of posts : 946
Registration date : 2008-06-18

http://www.steamtractionworld.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  BUNGLE Wed 24 Sep 2008, 9:39 pm

HI STEVE,
THANKS FOR THE INFO, LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING THEM.

AS THEY SAY, SH*T HAPPENS, NICE TO KNOW YOU GOT THE PLUGS BACK. Smile

KEEP WELL SEE YOU SOON

BRUCE

BUNGLE

Back to top Go down

Post  BUNGLE Fri 26 Sep 2008, 9:07 pm

WE RECEIVED OUR OUTSTANDING BOX OF FITTINGS THIS MORNING. Very Happy

THANKS GUYS
BRUCE & BRIAN

Last edited by BUNGLE on Fri 26 Sep 2008, 9:08 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : SPELLING)

BUNGLE

Back to top Go down

Burrell boiler fixings ? Empty 2" Boiler fittings

Post  Big Al Fri 26 Sep 2008, 10:33 pm

Mine arrived today as well, cheers

Everything fits fine, cladding is very tight fit and scrapes paint from the cylinder block so touch up required

Watch out when fitting studs 5 and 6 as you wont be able to get nuts on after you've put studs in as the cylinder end plates are very close so you will need to put bolt and washer on stud before winding it in.

Took ages putting all them in

Alan

Big Al

Number of posts : 147

Back to top Go down

Burrell boiler fixings ? Empty Boiler plugs and bits

Post  Big Al Sun 26 Oct 2008, 8:55 am

What medium is everyone using to put on the plugs and other parts prior to screwing them into to boiler that will be under pressure?

Went to Chiltern Steamup and saw a 4" MW in steam. the owner said not to use PTFE tape because it can clog the boiler if any bits are floating around. He said when he steamed his up for the first time, despite thinking he had sealed everything up tight, his was leaking like a sieve at 100psi. He ended up using the old red hermatite that you can still get from Halfords, not the newer stuff which goes hard and that sealed it up. He was still able to break the seal relatively easy afterwards.

He also said his piston was really tight in the bore when he first assembled it but it soon frees off.

Alan

Big Al

Number of posts : 147

Back to top Go down

Post  Julia Sun 26 Oct 2008, 9:23 am

On a my 4" PTFE tape has served me well. This has been backed up with Folic where indicated in the instructions. I would not want to take chances with awkward areas such as the cylinder studs where a leak would be bad news. PTFE has a proven track record I suggest it is used were recommended.

As to PTFE getting into the boiler - yes this is possible - take care to minimise. On my 4" boiler I had far worse solid objects in the boiler. The new boiler should be completely blow blown after the first few steaming. At the end of my first season when I gave the boiler a super wash out I was surprised to find I washed out white balls of putty stuff. My point is the strands of PTFE tape are the lease of your worries. A new boiler will need repeated blow downs to get it clean inside and steaming nicely.
Julia
Julia

Number of posts : 71

Back to top Go down

Burrell boiler fixings ? Empty To PTFE or not to PTFE

Post  Steve Traill Fri 31 Oct 2008, 3:37 pm

I'm with Julia in that I used PTFE without any problems. What I did do though was cut the PTFE down the middle so that there wasn't any left hanging over the end of the thread to fall off into the boiler. Once a small nick has been made in the tape it tears cleanly so is very easy to make a strip 5mm by 40mm which is how I used it. Hope this helps. Very Happy
Steve Traill
Steve Traill

Number of posts : 800
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down