Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

kit 3

+3
highpressure
craig@STW
greystones
7 posters

Go down

kit 3 Empty kit 3

Post  greystones Fri 02 Jul 2010, 1:33 pm

Hi SWT

Thanks kit 3 arrived this morning, with the long belly tank bolts, greatly appreciated Mike
greystones
greystones

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2008-06-16

http://greystonesholidays.co.uk

Back to top Go down

kit 3 Empty Re: kit 3

Post  craig@STW Fri 02 Jul 2010, 1:56 pm

glad you like it mike Cool

please be careful when putting this kit onto the front Axel. it's very heavy and the front Axel has movement in most directions and it's quite easy to give yourself a bruise or two Neutral we locked our front Axel down on a machining block, i would suggest everyone does something similar.

and now the bad news. it would seem that we have forgotten to countersink the back of the "door nameplate boss BS40314" to allow for the brass screws that hold on the name plate, sorry Embarassed . I've just taken the one off the control model and it has been done Rolling Eyes so it would seem that someone has forgotten to "task" this into production.

i would hope that most of you would be able to sort this out but if you do have any trouble get in touch.

Craig
craig@STW
craig@STW

Number of posts : 1410
Registration date : 2010-05-06

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure Fri 02 Jul 2010, 4:05 pm

Yes I did wonder about the proud screw heads and was going to see if I could loose them somehow but I can sink them easily. Other than that what a nice piece of kit to se and will give a real scale of size etc.

Does anyone know if they do gloss BBQ paint. I have picked up some form B&Q and it looks satin, personally I would prefere gloss if anyone knows of a supplier. My previous one was powder coated which seems to be holding up very well but the door rim gets "sticky" Embarassed when its hot and I wanted to try something else.

Thanks again Very Happy
highpressure
highpressure

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-06-18

http://www.simplydigitalaerials.com

Back to top Go down

Post  andyc Fri 02 Jul 2010, 7:07 pm

Hi,

Halfords do a heat resistant gloss black paint that is good for upto 300 degrees.

regards

Andy

andyc

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2010-03-02

Back to top Go down

kit 3 Empty Gloss black paint

Post  Steve Traill Fri 02 Jul 2010, 8:46 pm

I've seen gloss black hammerite used on the smoke box & chimney and according to the owner it has weathered pretty well. When I saw it it was two years old and still looked like new. Craftmaster do a heat resistant gloss black for brushing however I haven't used it yet so can't comment as to how good it is.
Steve Traill
Steve Traill

Number of posts : 800
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Watson Sun 04 Jul 2010, 6:04 am

I have used black gloss Hammerite and it works very well. It must be applied to bright clean, degreased metal. Build it up over a few hours with many very lght coats of paint from the aerosol - otherwise you will get runs I also baked my chimney in the oven at 250 deg C. I think it will survive Engine Hill in Cornwall this summer!
Tim
Tim Watson
Tim Watson

Number of posts : 585
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post  craig@STW Mon 05 Jul 2010, 9:07 am

right, it would seem that we have made a few mistakes with the fasteners on this kit, sorry Embarassed

the road loco kits are one bolt short for the countersunk holes under the perch bracket, the ones that hold the smoke-box ring on. the showmans only have five countersunk holes but the holes on the road loco have a different orientation so have six countersunk holes. unfortunately this was not reflected on the packing list. extra bolts will be sent out.

some smoke-boxes seem to have shallow countersinking however our control model was fine. if you do suffer with this Steve recommends either making the countersinks deeper or dressing the bolt heads with an angle grinder.

the two dummy bolts for the perch bracket that need to be "peened over" are too short, longer ones will be sent out.

we apologize for these minor mistakes and hope you are happy with the kit in general.

PS: please contact me by PM if you have found any other issues. i have replied to those people who have contacted me but the stupid PM system mat take a while to send the messages Evil or Very Mad

craig
craig@STW
craig@STW

Back to top Go down

Post  Waterways Tue 06 Jul 2010, 9:07 pm

Craig

will the mistakes be corrected on the kits which have not gone out yet as i am only on kit 2 of the showmans as i had it followed on from the burrell.

Keith

Waterways

Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2008-06-26

http://www.waterways-direct.com

Back to top Go down

Post  craig@STW Tue 06 Jul 2010, 9:37 pm

yes, all kits in stock have been corrected
craig@STW
craig@STW

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure Mon 26 Jul 2010, 7:55 pm

Have the week off this week and finally got around to sorting out Kit 3. Managed to find a local paint supplier who coud source a Black High Temperature paint for me to spray on. Goes onto bare metal as it has primer already in apparantly and supposedly resists up to 600 C. Got the shed all sheeted up this afternoon and went for it. The supplier said it was a satin finish which in the end I thought would be OK but first impressions are its a real deep gloss and even though I havent wielded a spray gun for many years it went really well. Only a couple of runs in places that wont really mater. How much easier than messing about with cans!!!!! Got on several really good coats and only used up 1/4 of a litre. Going to use it on the hornplates next as its so easy and the shed is ready. I'll post some piccys on here later.

Kev.
highpressure
highpressure

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-06-18

http://www.simplydigitalaerials.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: