Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Curing Plastikote Stove Paint in Gas Oven

3 posters

Go down

Curing Plastikote Stove Paint in Gas Oven Empty Curing Plastikote Stove Paint in Gas Oven

Post  Rosss Sat 02 Sep 2023, 9:19 pm

Hi People,

I'm ready to paint the smokebox on my DCC Traction Engine. I'm planning to use Plastikote Stove Paint from an aerosol can. I'll spray in my garage then cure in the kitchen oven. What temperature is best and for how long? It doesn't actually tell you on the can (that I can see).

This question may be more important!! Can I use a gas oven? Will the naked flame ignite the fumes? It says touch dry after 1 hour, I was planning to give 2 hours before I toast it, let more fumes evaporate!

Any comments or advice most welcome.

Stewart

Rosss

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2022-02-08

Back to top Go down

Curing Plastikote Stove Paint in Gas Oven Empty Re: Curing Plastikote Stove Paint in Gas Oven

Post  Rosss Sun 10 Sep 2023, 9:40 pm

Hi People,
I'm still alive, my house is still standing, I can confirm you can use a gas oven for curing!😁

Rosss

LiveSteam likes this post

Back to top Go down

Curing Plastikote Stove Paint in Gas Oven Empty Re: Curing Plastikote Stove Paint in Gas Oven

Post  the governer Sat 16 Sep 2023, 8:52 am

I have used the BBQ black and cured both in electric oven and gas BBQ, I have found 100C for 30 mins to work very well, even applying a few costs and cure, then a few more coats, an cure again.
the governer
the governer

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2013-10-06

Robfishman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosss Sun 17 Sep 2023, 12:05 am

Hi,

Thanks for the info. I was being ultra careful, I was worried that fumes could build up and be ignited by the naked flame but it all worked out in the end.

Rosss

Back to top Go down

Curing Plastikote Stove Paint in Gas Oven Empty Curing Plastikote Stove Paint in Gas Oven

Post  Merv.p Wed 20 Sep 2023, 4:28 pm

I used B&Q spray and lit a fire in the smoke box with bits of timber and a bit of board to draw the fire up the chimney, then kept adding coats to it as it got hotter, I wanted to see if this would work when using the engine and not peel off, so when I took our Dodman SCC out to a show a few weeks ago I lit the fire and sprayed the same again to the chimney and smoke box. We drove the engine quite hard that weekend and happy to say the paint has stayed on, so if anyone haven't got enough room in the cooker, you could try the lit a fire method

Merv.p

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2022-01-23

Rosss likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down