Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Top Internal Diameter of The 4" Burrell road loco chimney

4 posters

Go down

Top Internal Diameter of The 4" Burrell road loco chimney Empty Top Internal Diameter of The 4" Burrell road loco chimney

Post  Thunderbolt Thu 18 Aug 2022, 11:52 am

Hi Forum,

I cam currently not with my engine however trying to sort out getting a chimney extension and i have forgotten to measure the chimney diameter. Is it four inches?
Thunderbolt
Thunderbolt

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2021-02-13

Back to top Go down

Top Internal Diameter of The 4" Burrell road loco chimney Empty Re: Top Internal Diameter of The 4" Burrell road loco chimney

Post  Lynn@STW Thu 18 Aug 2022, 1:01 pm

Thunderbolt wrote:Hi Forum,

I cam currently not with my engine however trying to sort out getting a chimney extension and i have forgotten to measure the chimney diameter. Is it four inches?

Top Edge is 115mm Ø But remember the taper
110ish Ø around the depth of the bottom edge of the copper chimney top.

Lynn@STW

Number of posts : 166
Registration date : 2017-07-19

http://www.steamtractionworld.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Top Internal Diameter of The 4" Burrell road loco chimney Empty Re: Top Internal Diameter of The 4" Burrell road loco chimney

Post  Thunderbolt Thu 18 Aug 2022, 1:24 pm

Brilliant thank you. What sort of diameter pipe would you recommend purchasing as a chimney extension?
Thunderbolt
Thunderbolt

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2021-02-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Lynn@STW Thu 18 Aug 2022, 1:27 pm

Hi

Anything you fancy. I used a 5ft length of Gas flue double walled pipe. It lasted over 10 years. But I did manage to melt out the middle tube when the oils and creosotes stuck to the inner wall went up.

Plan for it to fall off at some point.

Lynn@STW

Number of posts : 166
Registration date : 2017-07-19

http://www.steamtractionworld.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  elwood-59 Thu 18 Aug 2022, 8:14 pm

Hi,

I use two 1m long pipes (folded spiral seam pipe) lightweight steel and inexpensive.

Top Internal Diameter of The 4" Burrell road loco chimney Ccaa9e10

115 mm dia pipe with a connector fitted to one of the pipes to stack both pipes together. Long enough to get additional draft but short enough for easy handling.

Thought about adding a handle to it, but never got to it and don‘t really need it.

Just push the pipe into the chimney and it kind of locks into it.

Cheers

Elwood
elwood-59
elwood-59

Number of posts : 300
Registration date : 2014-12-17

LiveSteam likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam Thu 18 Aug 2022, 9:33 pm

Yup use the same as Elwood bit of spiral ducting and it doubles up as the chimney for our gas bottle wood burner, although due to the wood burner running at silly temperatures I only normally get about 5yrs out of it before it falls apart.
You should see it glowing red hot when I drive the wood burner hard  Laughing but it certainly keeps us nice and toasty on a chilly evening on the rally field.
The plus point using spiral ducting is you can buy bends for it cheaply that fit together, this means when you get a wet day I can steam the engine under the gazebo and set the ducting to dog leg out of the gazebo Cool

LiveSteam

Number of posts : 777
Registration date : 2013-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down