Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help with fitting crankshaft bearings

2 posters

Go down

Help with fitting crankshaft bearings Empty Help with fitting crankshaft bearings

Post  Charles1234 Tue 24 Nov 2020, 12:49 pm

Hi
I have only just started to look at fitting the crankshaft bearings, which looked fairly straight forward to start with but the instructions say 'slide the bearing pad (BS41908) into the bearing housing'
I am used to doing a lot of filing but the steel pad will not slot into the bearing housing at all, the bearing housing has been machined for the depth (thickness) of the pad but the sides of the bearing slot are still a rough casting, so the pad is a long way out from just sliding into the housing. Either STW have forgotten to finish maching the slot in the bearing housing or I have a lot of filing to do to get the pad tp fit. I could file a little off the sides of pad but I think most of the filing needs to be done on the bearing housing, to make it a good sharp right angle corner for the pad to sit in. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Charles1234
Charles1234

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2013-07-01

http://www.salfordmill.com

Back to top Go down

Help with fitting crankshaft bearings Empty Re: Help with fitting crankshaft bearings

Post  Will@STW Tue 24 Nov 2020, 2:37 pm

Charles1234 wrote:Hi
I have only just started to look at fitting the crankshaft bearings, which looked fairly straight forward to start with but the instructions say 'slide the bearing pad (BS41908) into the bearing housing'
I am used to doing a lot of filing but the steel pad will not slot into the bearing housing at all, the bearing housing has been machined for the depth (thickness) of the pad but the sides of the bearing slot are still a rough casting, so the pad is a long way out from just sliding into the housing. Either STW have forgotten to finish maching the slot in the bearing housing or I have a lot of filing to do to get the pad tp fit. I could file a little off the sides of pad but I think most of the filing needs to be done on the bearing housing, to make it a good sharp right angle corner for the pad to sit in. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Hi Charles1234

I believe the problem here is that the there was a casting error with the bearing housing that caused us to need machine out the bearing housing slightly larger than normal (hence the part number for the housing having Lge at the end). The bearing pad is simply there for the adjustment bolt to push against, so as long as it does that the rest doesn't really matter. We have a thinner version of the bearing pad that I can send out to you now or when we send back your weightshaft depending on how desperate you are for the pad.

Many thanks

Will@STW
Will@STW
Will@STW

Number of posts : 196
Registration date : 2019-01-29

Back to top Go down

Help with fitting crankshaft bearings Empty Re: Help with fitting crankshaft bearings

Post  Charles1234 Tue 24 Nov 2020, 3:10 pm

Hi Will,
Many thanks for your quick response, I may have a thinner piece of metal in stock and also I think I will put a very slight counter bore in it so that bolt just goes into it to stop it having any chance of sliding out.
If I have a further problem I will come back to you - many thanks again (I assume you have received the weightshaft, any idea how long it will be before I get it back)
Kind regards,
Charles
Charles1234
Charles1234

Back to top Go down

Post  Charles1234 Tue 24 Nov 2020, 3:53 pm

Hi Will,
All sorted now, I found a piece of 2mm (the original pad was 3mm) and of course now I have looked at it again the pad cannot possible fall out because it is held in by the brass bearings
Charles1234
Charles1234

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down