Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cylinder Casting checks

2 posters

Go down

Cylinder Casting checks Empty Cylinder Casting checks

Post  BurrellSimplicity Fri 03 Jul 2020, 5:40 pm

Hi Everyone,

Just thought I'd share these pictures of the piece of core left behind in the cylinder near the regulator. we dug it out but it could well have caused problems later down the line if it had made it's way into the ports or cylinder.

there is also a thin piece left behind between the steam port and the regulator machined face that we'll probably remove once we have the parts for the cylinder. I think a stainless plate gets bolted in the recess here.

It's worth checking your cylinder blocks for things like this including sand and try to get it removed.

Cylinder Casting checks Castin10
Cylinder Casting checks Cylind10
Cylinder Casting checks Regula10

BurrellSimplicity

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2019-04-29

Back to top Go down

Cylinder Casting checks Empty Re: Cylinder Casting checks

Post  elwood-59 Fri 03 Jul 2020, 7:24 pm

What you might also consider:
At the bottom side of the cylinder block, there is a cover that is used to close an internal passage between HP and LP cylinder - or so I assume. After discussion with Steve, I removed that plate to get access to the channels inside the cylinder block.

Cylinder Casting checks 84d9a010

I tried to poke into the passages and hoped to remove as much casting sand as possible, if there was anything left over.

As a final precaution I took the cylinder block to a car engine rebuilder who has a washing machine and ultrasonic cleaner for car engine blocks and cylinder heads. For a small fee he put it into the cleaner. Although I am not really sure it was needed, still it gave me much peace of mind.

In the end I refitted the cover using loctite 510 as per suggestion of Steve.

Cheers

Elwood
elwood-59
elwood-59

Number of posts : 300
Registration date : 2014-12-17

Back to top Go down