Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Perch Grease

+2
Mark the spark
Midwest Steam
6 posters

Go down

Perch Grease  Empty Perch Grease

Post  Midwest Steam Sun 06 Jan 2019, 3:53 am

I’m wondering what’s the best way to add a lube/grease point to the perch in Kit 2. Don’t think my original plan of greasing up the pivot once and calling it a day is gonna work too well. Thinking of adding a zerk fitting to the perch to make things easier in the long run.
Midwest Steam
Midwest Steam

Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2018-09-19

Back to top Go down

Perch Grease  Empty Re: Perch Grease

Post  Mark the spark Sun 06 Jan 2019, 9:42 am

I fitted a grease nipple on the rear of the bracket so I can grease it every now and then

Mark the spark

Number of posts : 389
Registration date : 2015-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Sun 06 Jan 2019, 10:20 am

I drilled a small hole at an angle in to the perch shaft hole and just put steam oil in the perch bracket from the hole in the back for putting the pin in. Also just add a drop of oil to the top of the pin. Only oil once in a long while and no issues after 6 years of running.
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post  elwood-59 Sun 06 Jan 2019, 1:12 pm

Maybe I over-engineered it but I put a grease nipple to the shaft part of the perch bracket, to be able to put the grease gun though the access hole in the rear to grease the vertical part of the pivot and another (angled) grease nipple between the webs of the pivot to be able to grease the load bearing (i.e. horizontal) surface.

In both cases I used a small dremel cutter to put a small groove startibg from the grease hole all around the so to distribute the grease evenly.

Again, might be too much, future will tell, but I was sure I would not keep up mainenance by taking apart the front axle to relube.

Cheers

Elwood

PS when back to the Mac I might be able to upload some pics, if needed, hope my explanation above is halfways clear Embarassed
elwood-59
elwood-59

Number of posts : 300
Registration date : 2014-12-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Midwest Steam Sun 06 Jan 2019, 2:41 pm

elwood-59 wrote:PS when back to the Mac I might be able to upload some pics, if needed, hope my explanation above is halfways clear Embarassed

Clear as Mud! lol!  

Actually it all made sense. If you don’t mind posting a few photos it would be beneficial, not just to me but to everyone else that could use a guide in their build.
Midwest Steam
Midwest Steam

Back to top Go down

Post  elwood-59 Sun 06 Jan 2019, 5:13 pm

Sorry took some time but here you go:

drilled & tapped two threads into the perch bracket and pivot barely visible at red circle.

Perch Grease  QB6JYad

Pivot with 45 deg grease nipple

Perch Grease  XiuSn6A

Bracket with nipple

Perch Grease  93Q85kl

and with grease gun in action:

Perch Grease  AN3ZjMQ

Yes, too much grease, just wanted to make sure it is evenly all around the circumference.

But unfortunately I do not have a picture of the groove or slots I put into the parts to get a more even distribution of the grease all around.

Hope this is more clear now Very Happy

Cheers

Elwood
elwood-59
elwood-59

Number of posts : 300
Registration date : 2014-12-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony.steamwagon Sun 06 Jan 2019, 5:44 pm

Afternoon all, I am just starting to build the same one and have drilled into the perch at the rear, I am also getting some .5mm PTFE sheet and making a thrust washer to go between the pivot top face and perch in order to reduce the friction and Offer a degree of self lubrication. I will re gap the top ring to allow the same clearance.
Like most I intend to modify items as I go in order to make the experiance as best as possible.
Regards
Tony

Tony.steamwagon

Number of posts : 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve Traill Sun 06 Jan 2019, 11:09 pm

On my crane engine I fitted a grease nipple accessed through the rear hole, give it a couple of pumps at the beginning of the season, that's all it needs. I did use a dremmel to make a groove so the grease went everywhere I wanted it to. I did help someone who had an agricultural Burrell that seized up solid after being jet washed clean. Took quite a bit of freeing off so keep it greased!
Steve Traill
Steve Traill

Number of posts : 800
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Midwest Steam Sun 06 Jan 2019, 11:20 pm

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, looks like the Dremel is the way to go. Don’t need the steering to seize up on me, much easier to do some preventative maintaince now rather than try to repair it later.
Midwest Steam
Midwest Steam

Back to top Go down

Post  Midwest Steam Mon 01 Apr 2019, 5:19 pm

Did the unthinkable and modified the perch casting. It wasn’t too bad, but I followed Steve’s advice and I think it’ll work beautifully.

Here’s the follow up photos:

Perch Grease  Ed7ced10

Perch Grease  7a734910
That groove looks deeper in the photo but in persona it looks like a scratch is all. Should be deep enough to allow grease to flow (even though it doesn’t very well lol! ) to the front and keep everything freely.
Midwest Steam
Midwest Steam

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down