Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Height of water gauge glass

5 posters

Go down

Height of water gauge glass Empty Height of water gauge glass

Post  LiveSteam Tue 15 May 2018, 6:15 pm

Heres a little job I've been looking at doing for a while now, that is to take the fusable plug out, level up the boiler and fill it until it flowed out of the fusable plug hole.

So on Monday after the Bill Targett rally I was cleaning down the engine and washing out the boiler I hooked the plug out and tried it out.

The result is the below photo

Height of water gauge glass Water_10

as you can see the water is definately showing in the glass even though the plugs out, it was a little higher than this at the start but I waited till all the water had stopped flowing out of the plug and this is where it settled at. I was susprised it was as high as it was to be honest and shows that when I'm around that level going down steep hills I've got very little in reserve.

This is a batch one modelworks engine so cannot say if they are all the same, but I found it a worth while exercise to verify the absolute limits of water levels in the boiler and will make me pay even more attention to it in the future (not that I'm not on it like a hawk anyway Embarassed )

LiveSteam

Number of posts : 777
Registration date : 2013-09-08

Back to top Go down

Height of water gauge glass Empty Re: Height of water gauge glass

Post  Mark the spark Tue 15 May 2018, 6:31 pm

This is quite common in the past I have made a small ring to go around the glass to remind me of the crown water level minimum
Hope this helps
Mark

Mark the spark

Number of posts : 389
Registration date : 2015-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post  the governer Tue 15 May 2018, 8:00 pm

I did a similar thing with my DCC, using lazer level, bore scope, telescopic rod, all very Heath Robinson. The long and short, when the level in my boiler is down to the top of the fusable plug, I have just about 10mm showing in the glass.
the governer
the governer

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2013-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam Tue 15 May 2018, 8:52 pm

Seems like its across the board then, I was talking to another minature owner, cant remember the make they had but they said they had an engine that the crown was exposed with the glass 1/4 to 1/3 full Shocked and they made a similar band at that mark.

I found it a worth while test Cool wonder how long you'd get before the plug would go at that level, suppose a lot of factors would be playing, a quick slosh of water would quickly cool things and the size of fire would play a large part.

LiveSteam

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark the spark Tue 15 May 2018, 8:57 pm

I will be doing the same thing when I am ready to steam

Mark the spark

Number of posts : 389
Registration date : 2015-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post  bartman Wed 16 May 2018, 2:59 pm

Great topic OP, thanks for sharing your findings and others for their input.

I've often thought of doing similar to find out the exact min water level. After reading this I think I'll be putting a red indicator on or behind the glass a third of the way up from the bottom to show MIN water level, and make sure I have at least half a glass before going down any kind of hill!

I wonder what the max water level would be before the engine started to prime?

bartman

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2016-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam Wed 16 May 2018, 7:22 pm

Something to bewarey of is the fact the take off for the top of the glass is from nearly the top of the boiler so, as I have found, anything on the flat above 3/4 or more of a glass and you find you dont actually have much room for steam, took me a while to fathom that one out.
I found I could have a good fire, plenty of water but setting off very quickly lost pressure as presumably there was little room for actual steam.
From personal experience and my own agri it seems about 1/2 a glass gives a good space for steam and not a huge requirement for lots of fire, however this means you have to be ready more for terrian change especially downhill sections.
I'm certainly no expert in the field and just observations from my own engine Cool

LiveSteam

Back to top Go down

Post  Capricorn1 Wed 16 May 2018, 10:49 pm

3/4 of a glass is the usual upper limit for boiler water level - unless you're going up hill in which case the water all runs to the back-head. Traction engines usually have long gauge frames compared to railway locomotives, some builders had brass plates fixed to the back-head marked "working level" or "top of firebox". Running with too much water, having dirty water, running at too low a pressure or opening the regulator wide with a high water level are all routes to make an engine prime, lifting the safety valves with a high water level will also pick-up the water.
On the road with a full size engine it is good practice to shut the damper just before cresting a hill to calm the fire down and if you know you're approaching a falling gradient then put the injector on.
If you are going down hill with little water then occasionally slow the engine by easing back the reversing lever, this will cause the water to slosh back and forth and so cool the crown sheet.

The determine where the top of the crown is in relation to the water gauge an alternative method is simply to measure from the top of the firebox to the top of the firehole door ring with a simple gauge, then compare the measurement to the water gauge.

Make sure you know your engine and never steam without a fusible plug fitted.

For further useful reading see "The Modern Manual for Drivers of Steam Road Vehicles" by W. Michael Salmon

Capricorn1

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2013-07-22

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam Thu 17 May 2018, 6:32 pm

All things I do Cool another very interesting read is the NTET guides here http://www.ntet.co.uk/owners-drivers/code-of-practice/

LiveSteam

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down