Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I've done it now

3 posters

Go down

I've done it now Empty I've done it now

Post  wingman Fri 08 Apr 2016, 8:07 pm

Well after a lot of thought,questions and advise I have made my decision to purchase a 4" Burrell Agricultural and have today paid my deposit and can't wait for my first kit to arrive.
I decided to go down the vulcanised tyre route and like everyone I'm sure I just can't wait to make a start.
Thanks to everyone for their advise.

John

wingman

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2016-03-31

Back to top Go down

I've done it now Empty Re: I've done it now

Post  Jim the Shovel Fri 08 Apr 2016, 8:40 pm

Welcome aboard John.

Good choice with the vulcanised tyres. Rather a messy job that. I built a wagon first and fitted the tyres. When I later ordered the 4" SCC, Dean had a pair of vulcanised fronts which I took him up on. The SCC already comes with vulcanised rears. Good luck with your build and look forward to seeing some pictures. Speaking of which, it's about time I posted some of mine.

Regards

Jim
Jim the Shovel
Jim the Shovel

Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2015-06-30

Back to top Go down

Post  wingman Fri 08 Apr 2016, 9:53 pm

Hi Jim.
I went with the vulcanised tyres having read all the posts of how difficult and messy they can be to fit .

I gather that you have a SCC I'd love to see some pictures of the build and the finished engine.....did you have many problems during the build and how have you found it since completion

Regards

John

wingman

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim the Shovel Sat 09 Apr 2016, 4:22 pm

Hi John

I'm one year into the build with bits in various stages of paint and not a lot actually finished. The shelves are filling up. The boiler is due in a couple of months then it'll start coming together. That's the time to start posting pictures. I haven't really had any problems so far. If you were to have any a quick word or two to Steve at STW and it'll soon get sorted with advice or replaced parts. They are very good at that. You can also get a lot of good advice on the forum. If in doubt, then shout. It doesn't matter how daft it may seem. We've all been there.

Jim
Jim the Shovel
Jim the Shovel

Back to top Go down

Post  wingman Sat 09 Apr 2016, 8:34 pm

Cheers Jim.
So what colou did you go for on yours and did you spray or brush the paint.

John

wingman

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim the Shovel Sat 09 Apr 2016, 11:15 pm

Old school me John. Brush painting coach enamel from Craftmaster Paints. I thought about the colour for quite sometime and found myself coming back to Burrell Plumb every time. There are a lot of engines out there finished in plumb and did try to find something different for that reason. So Burrell Plumb it is with pale green pinstripes flanking a thicker black strip and then a thinner red strip on the inside. Regarding the brush painting, Craftmaster recommend Purdy brushes that they supply. They are a bit on the dear side so I tried a few other cheaper synthetic brushes which were OK. I then purchased a 1" Purdy to try. What a difference. I now have a full set of Purdy's. The cheaper ones being false economy. It also helps having a Brush Mate to keep the wet brushes in. Saves you from cleaning the brushes after every use which doesn't do the brush a lot of good I've found.

Did Dean tell you if you'd be receiving the kits in numerical order. I believe I'm about 10 months behind the production run so I'm getting the kits as listed. Does help a lot knowing what's coming next. If it's the same for you you'll soon be building the front wheels. There's a lot of work in the wheels, but most enjoyable.

Jim
Jim the Shovel
Jim the Shovel

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam Sun 10 Apr 2016, 9:29 pm

Well done John, I've spent a very enjoyable weekend chuffing at the Bassingstoke weekend on my Agri, although for some bizzare reason today was a very wet steam day, yet Saturday it was fine, ruddy steam engines Laughing Laughing

Enjoy your build Cool

LiveSteam

Number of posts : 778
Registration date : 2013-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post  wingman Mon 11 Apr 2016, 12:33 am

Cheers Jim great advice, I havn't decide on a colour as yet but like you am very drawn to the plun what a lovely deep colour.
I will definately be going with craftmaster having read all of the positive on here.
Not sure what order I will get my kits in didn't ask that one but Dean didn't say anything other than they were stock as everyone was on about kit 14 so I presume I'll get them in order'

I'll keep you posted.........John

wingman

Back to top Go down

Post  wingman Mon 11 Apr 2016, 12:40 am

Hi Live Steam,sounds like you had a good weekend do you have a full callender through the summer,I've been a visitor at a lot of shows but it must be great to have your engine there......

John Sad Sad

wingman

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam Mon 11 Apr 2016, 9:28 pm

wingman wrote:Hi  Live Steam,sounds like you had a good weekend do you have a full callender through the summer,I've been a visitor at a lot of shows but it must be great to have your engine there......

John   Sad  Sad

You can do as many or as few shows as you like really. so far we have about 5 booked but got another 2 invites to others from this weekend.

Dont forget if you fancy it and can cope with moving it most shows will like to see part builts or on going projects and you do get to meet loads of like minded folks and pick up lots of hints and tips.

LiveSteam

Number of posts : 778
Registration date : 2013-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post  wingman Sun 17 Apr 2016, 10:20 pm

Hi Live steam sorry Ive been away for a few days so didn,t get to read your post
Sounds like your really busy down there I guess it will probably be next year before I have enough of my build together to take to a show but I hope to get to one or two this year so maybe we will bump into each other
Have a great summer
John.

wingman

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum