Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kit 7 Help

4 posters

Go down

Kit 7 Help Empty Kit 7 Help

Post  Pitpup Fri 02 Oct 2015, 7:32 pm

Hi All.
Looking for a bit of guidance on Kit seven. First, did anyone get the 8BA socket screws that the instructions talk about for the initial holding together of the tender sides and base ?
Second question.... the rear of my tender back plate has a number of counter sunk holes in it, theses holes are filled by the slotless screws that hold the tender together, any ideas what they are for or am I missing something ??? (Pic below)
Third and final question, the instructions say towards the end to put all the remaining slotless screws and countersunk screws in, I carnt find any locations for countersunk screws apart from the ones in my question 2 !!!!!
Any help would be most welcome.
Kit 7 Help 20151010
Pitpup
Pitpup

Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2015-02-28

Back to top Go down

Kit 7 Help Empty Re: Kit 7 Help

Post  Mike King Fri 02 Oct 2015, 7:47 pm

Hi I am on the same kit now. I never had the temporary screws either. I was just a bit careful and used the fixing screws. All of the countersunk holes will be along the rivet lines where another part of the kit has to cover such as the tow bar and also the tow straps that fit along the whole length of the tender to fit onto the tow bar. You should not put the rivet bolts in the countersunk holes. Just put the counter sunk screws in as you are putting the rivet bolts in. You will find more countersinks on both side panels at the front, these will eventually be covered by the side straps. I have had a few issues with this kit. I never had the m3 nuts and bolts that hold the side straps on. It may pay you to check the length of the side straps,as mine are too short. Stw are sorting that for me.
    I hope that this helps
       Mike

Last edited by Mike King on Fri 02 Oct 2015, 8:23 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

Mike King

Number of posts : 318
Registration date : 2014-09-04

http://www.mikekingphotography.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Crazy_jim Fri 02 Oct 2015, 8:56 pm

The countersunk holes are indeed to allow for the tow straps that run the length of the tender sides so make sure your countersunk bolts go in these holes or you will be in deep kimshi.
The tow straps themselves are a tight fit! You will need to use the nuts for the straps to pull the straps onto the tender by doing them up a little bit at a time evenly across each strap.
I didn't use the ba temporary bolts for the tender but I did work from the corners and worked my way outwards from there.
A word of warning: once you have isoflexed the tank and you're ready to put the tender top on the bolts near the 2 brass pick up pipes they will be tight and probably need to be cut down slightly. Sausage fingers need not apply at this stage.
Enjoy fitting and tightening 9 million ba bolts with a spanner as most angles won't allow you to use a socket because of the space. However for an OCD aficionado this part of the build is very therapeutic.
I think there are some pictures of my tender on my build a couple of threads down if that helps.
Crazy_jim
Crazy_jim

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2012-10-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Pitpup Fri 02 Oct 2015, 10:41 pm

Mike....after reading your reply the penny dropped.....I was only trying to fit the Base and back on the inside of the side flanges....not the outside as it should be #@$×@!.
Thanks.
Pitpup
Pitpup

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike King Sat 03 Oct 2015, 9:12 am

Hi Jim,
My tow straps were 4mm too short,and would only fit under yhe tow bsr and not on top. Steve at STW is changingin them for me. Anyway, once i have those my kit 7 is complete. What i want to know is when do you think is the right time to isoflex the tank? Now or wait until the next kit with the fittings? Also, did you fit the brass drain in the bottom before or after isoflexing? I have in actual fact been using your pictures as a guide.
Regards
Mike

Mike King

Back to top Go down

Kit 7 Help Empty RE Kit 7

Post  chas12154 Sat 03 Oct 2015, 5:59 pm

Hi, my next kit is number 7. Looks like Ive more fun to come Very Happy Will no doubt on here too with question when my kit arrives, latter this month.

Charlie

chas12154

Number of posts : 412
Registration date : 2015-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Crazy_jim Sat 03 Oct 2015, 6:12 pm

Hi mike.

Yep definitely wait for the tender fittings before isoflexing the tank itself. There are a number of components you will want in place before you start waterproofing. The brass drain plug isn't an issue as its brass and therefore won't corrode. All I did was once I'd slapped a coat of isoflex id just unwind the drain plug and wipe any isoflex off the threads. It didn't really get any on it to be honest.
It's worth mentioning that this is simply how I did it/overcome the problems and so other may well have a better idea??
Glad my photos have helped. I've been away and only just got my hands on the flywheel and connection rods for the crankshaft!
Crazy_jim
Crazy_jim

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike King Sat 03 Oct 2015, 6:22 pm

Thanks Jim,
I have just fitted the trims today, that was more fiddly than i thought. Keep the pictures coming they are a great back up!
Mike

Mike King

Back to top Go down

Post  Pitpup Sat 21 Nov 2015, 3:35 pm

Hi all...can some post a few pics of the tender 8BA slotless screws and how the nut ends are finished off. Are the screws cut to length to be flush with the nut or are they left long and sticking out from the nut...??. Thanks and pics would be good chaps.
Pitpup
Pitpup

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike King Sat 21 Nov 2015, 3:47 pm

Are you talking about the countersunk ones? If so, i have cut mine off so they match the rivet head ones.i have left the rivet onrs as they are.
  Mike

Last edited by Mike King on Sat 21 Nov 2015, 3:57 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : missed something out)

Mike King

Back to top Go down

Post  Pitpup Sat 21 Nov 2015, 5:26 pm

Mike...could u post a couple if pics please ?
Pitpup
Pitpup

Back to top Go down

Post  Crazy_jim Sun 22 Nov 2015, 10:15 am

I left them the same length as they are also.
Unfortunately I'm away from home so can't put any pictures up for you until next weekend. If your still stuck then I'll get some snaps for you.
Crazy_jim
Crazy_jim

Back to top Go down

Kit 7 Help Empty Kit 7

Post  chas12154 Sun 22 Nov 2015, 5:15 pm

Hi Pitpup. Just wrote an update on my thread, finished kit 7 now. I left the slotless bolts, the length they ended up. Some were longer than others, but most that will be seen, are the same length. Once painted, they should blend in ok.
Will post some photos on my thread tomorrow, hope they will help you out.

Charlie

chas12154

Number of posts : 412
Registration date : 2015-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Pitpup Sun 22 Nov 2015, 5:50 pm

Many thanks.
Pitpup
Pitpup