Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another SCC in the making

+3
Tony King
TimV
Jim the Shovel
7 posters

Go down

Another SCC in the making Empty Another SCC in the making

Post  Jim the Shovel Thu 02 Jul 2015, 10:24 pm

Hi guys. Thought I'd introduce myself as I'm about to start work on the SCC.

A little explanation as to my name. I've been riding bikes since the year dot and the last forty years on Harley Shovelheads. Hence Jim the Shovel. It goes without saying that being associated with bikes for that long I'm not afraid of getting my hands dirty. Like nothing more than being out in the garage.

For the last ten years or so I've exhibited the bike (or trike as it is now) at the annual steam rally on the Isle of Wight Steam Railway at Havenstreet (August Bank Holiday) I've always been interested in steam but the last few years at the rally I found myself spending more and more time with the steam boys. So last year I decided that's it for me, go for it. A 4" SCC it is. Happy days.

To get the ball rolling I've spent the last few months building the wagon. Just realised it's actually taken me 7 months and I haven't finished the wheels yet. There's surprisingly a lot of work in the wagon. I probably went a bit over the top in that I dovetail dowelled all the joints and boards. Not a screw or nail in sight, or hidden. Does make for a nice looking job. I'm about to modify the wheel oil pipes with grease nipples. Shall be doing the same on the SCC. A 6mm grease nipple fits in the oil tube a treat and just needs an extended cap.

Think that's enough of me for now and looking forward to seeing all your postings and pics. Ah a quick thank you to ChriX for the youtube clips. Nice to see what's coming.

Jim the Shovel
Jim the Shovel
Jim the Shovel

Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2015-06-30

Back to top Go down

Another SCC in the making Empty Re: Another SCC in the making

Post  TimV Fri 03 Jul 2015, 10:26 am

Welcome to the gang Jim, keep us updated with your build with pictures etc... I myself am a Harley man and have a Dyna Wide Glide, love the biking but love the steam as well.

Tim
TimV
TimV

Number of posts : 123
Registration date : 2014-10-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony King Fri 03 Jul 2015, 2:53 pm

Well Hello "Jim the Shovel"............ I, like You, have been building motor bikes (& stationary steam engines) all my life, then having read Julia Auld's (I think I may have spelt that wrong.. sorry Julia!!) 4" Modelworks build, I decided to commit to STW with a 4" Agricultural, then being so impressed, I had to go for what I consider to be the ultimate Traction engine, ie a Showman's!!

Also, like You I'm a Harley owner... bit more modern than your shovel heads & again for Me, "the ultimate"... A Crossbones, springer soft tail!! Been working on it all last winter... Now the shiniest, blackest, meanest "noisiest" HD in this area anyway!!

Welcome to what is now becoming a famous steam forum, with tons of friendly expertise & backup "stuff"!!!

Regards,
Tony

Tony King

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-10-31

Back to top Go down

Post  ChriX Fri 03 Jul 2015, 6:59 pm

Welcome aboard Jim, glad you found my clips interesting!

Chris
ChriX
ChriX

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2012-06-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim the Shovel Mon 06 Jul 2015, 7:50 pm

Thanks guys for your replies.

Will be sure to post pics when I get back in the swing of it. Just a couple of bike rallies to do then it's all systems go.

Jim
Jim the Shovel
Jim the Shovel

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim the Shovel Tue 28 Jul 2015, 3:05 pm

I mentioned above I would be modifying the oil tubes on the wagon and engine.
The wagon rear wheel oil tubes were heli-coiled M6 as the bore was 15/64". This was done with the tubes in situ as I had already fitted them.
A sleeve was made for the front wheels as there wasn't enough room with them in situ. So tube was cut down for the sleeve to slip over. This will be epoxied on after wheel is painted.
Another SCC in the making <a href=Another SCC in the making 20150712" />

The engine wheels were easier as the oil tubes were bored 13/64" just about right for M6.
Another SCC in the making <a href=Another SCC in the making 20150714" />

Extended end caps were then made for the wagon and SCC. I'm assuming that the oil tubes in the SCC rear wheels are the same as the front.
Jim the Shovel
Jim the Shovel

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogle Sun 16 Aug 2015, 11:04 pm

Hi Jim,
Welcome to the forum. Are you based on the island? I'll be at Havenstreet later in the month too. Will you have he wagon on display at all? I have an old 2'' Foden and hoping to one day build one of the STW kits too so will be interested to hear how you get on.

Regards
Doug.

Doogle

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2013-06-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim the Shovel Tue 25 Aug 2015, 12:18 am

Hi Doug

Yep I'll be at Havenstreet. Never miss it. I won't be exhibiting the wagon but will be there on the Harley. Will you have the Foden with you.
I'll be there from Thursday onwards. Probably easiest for you to find me. The Harleys for the last two years have been opposite the toilets (very handy) round the side of the beer tent. (even more handy).
Be good to have a natter over a pint.

Regards
Jim
Jim the Shovel
Jim the Shovel

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam Tue 25 Aug 2015, 8:06 pm

Friends of mine have just arrived over there setting up for the weekend, look out for the 6x6 GMC CCKW truck with a M101 105mm Howitzer on the back Cool Apparently its a bit moist over there currently.

LiveSteam

Number of posts : 777
Registration date : 2013-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim the Shovel Wed 26 Aug 2015, 12:35 am

Recon it'll be a bit more than moist time I get there on Thursday. Hope they do something about the entrance and exit to the camp site. In past years it's been a real pig getting in and out when it's wet. But saying that it does tend to dry out pretty quick so we maybe OK from Friday onwards. I'll keep a look out for yers. Can't really miss a Howitzer.

Regards

Jim
Jim the Shovel
Jim the Shovel

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam Wed 26 Aug 2015, 8:32 pm

Well the message I had from them today was folks were having to dig trenchs on site to get the water away Shocked

LiveSteam

Number of posts : 777
Registration date : 2013-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim the Shovel Wed 26 Aug 2015, 9:50 pm

Not looking too good is it. Is that the camp site or the show ground. Probably both. Think I better get some wellies.
Jim the Shovel
Jim the Shovel

Back to top Go down

Post  Vapor Thu 27 Aug 2015, 8:16 am

Hi Jim, I'm also live on the island have nearly finished a 4.5" Foden SWB lorry and will be starting the 6" Foden some time soon, I've already started collecting the kits just haven't made a start yet, not sure if we will be visiting Havenstreet this year as the family are over but we will see.

Ian
Vapor
Vapor

Number of posts : 383
Registration date : 2008-06-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim the Shovel Thu 27 Aug 2015, 11:50 am

Nice one Ian. Shall have to arrange a meet sometime if I don't see you at Havenstreet.

Regards

Jim
Jim the Shovel
Jim the Shovel

Back to top Go down

Another SCC in the making Empty Water level indicator for tender

Post  Jim the Shovel Mon 18 Jan 2016, 10:18 pm

I've got dozens of pictures of kits being assembled which we have basically all seen before.
But happened to find one showing some finished bits. Not bad for nine months work.
Try to ignore the untidy bench.
Another SCC in the making 20160110

When I should have been painting I decided to make a level indicator for the tender.
Here it is when full.
Another SCC in the making 20160111

When at minimum level.
Another SCC in the making 20160112

Time to panic.
Another SCC in the making 20160113

Amazing what you can do with a 6mm perspex rod and a pills tub.
Lower end components. Will be epoxied on assembly so it doesn't leak.
Another SCC in the making 20160115

Top end components. Fittings out of 3/4" hex bar to give an idea of size.
Another SCC in the making 20160114
Jim the Shovel
Jim the Shovel

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down