Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

To Rub Down or not too?

2 posters

Go down

To Rub Down or not too? Empty To Rub Down or not too?

Post  T140 Sat 04 Apr 2015, 7:38 am

Morning,

Perhaps somebody could clarify please?

I'm using the excellent Craftmaster paints by brush application. So far I am very happy with the finish on the axle and it's components.

I have painted on consecutive evenings as suggested, last Sunday and Monday primer, Tues and Weds Undercoat and Thurs rub down then topcoat with the final topcoat yesterday. I have some lining to do on the face of the axle and then I need to apply the two coats of varnish.

The lining I intend to do on Sunday and complete Easter Monday, I don't have time today to paint or varnish. Then varnish Tuesday and Wednesday to complete.

Do I rub down the top coat prior to lining and applying the varnish?

Do I rub down between the two coats of varnish?

Many thanks.

Richard.

T140

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2014-05-10

Back to top Go down

To Rub Down or not too? Empty Re: To Rub Down or not too?

Post  Tony King Sat 04 Apr 2015, 9:14 am

Hi Richard,

If it were Me, I would definitely rubdown top coat before you line in, this allows the lines to adhere better to top coat & I would very carefully rubdown the lines when they are good n dry, before varnishing. This can make a good paint job, exceptional!!
I would also again rub down between varnish coats, very fine wet & dry just to knock off the shine, this gives the last coat a chance to bond better & you end up with a glass type finish... takes a lot of time, but so worth it!!

Regards,
Tony

Tony King

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-10-31

Back to top Go down

To Rub Down or not too? Empty Finish

Post  T140 Sat 04 Apr 2015, 11:08 am

Tony,

Thanks for that, I thought it may be the route that I should take it just seemed weird to remove some of the finish after just lovingly applying it!

Doing it as you mentioned gives me plenty of time to let the coats dry nice and hard reducing my risk of removing just a little too much paint.

Richard

T140

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2014-05-10

Back to top Go down

To Rub Down or not too? Empty Re: To Rub Down or not too?

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum