Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fitting tyres

3 posters

Go down

Fitting tyres Empty Fitting tyres

Post  T140 Sun 11 Jan 2015, 5:07 pm

Evening,

I've read everything on the forum about tyre fitting, so today I did a test fit using the cable tie technique. Ok it was a struggle as this was a dry fit but I did it. But the one thing nobody has actually explained is how rough should the rim and tyre be?

The rim is as supplied I just used a twisted wire angle grinder brush to clean the scale off so it's fairly rough already. The tyre I cleaned up with a 40 grit flap wheel on edge but to be honest after cleaning still feels quite smooth?

Am I worrying about nothing or should I spent time with an angle grinder crisscross cutting the rim and tyre, please?

If all goes well then next weekend I will stick the tyre on one wheel, the other I am still cleaning up ready for the dry fit. So I should be complete with kits 1 and 2 by the end of the month. Just waiting for warm weather to start painting.

Thanks again.

Richard

T140

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2014-05-10

Back to top Go down

Fitting tyres Empty Re: Fitting tyres

Post  lynnr Sun 11 Jan 2015, 5:30 pm

Scratch surface. I used a steel wire wheel on the rubber to remove the parting compound and roughen the surface. Then a 40 grit grinding wheel lightly over the steel to score all over without gouging.
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Fitting tyres Empty Tyres

Post  Steve Traill Sun 11 Jan 2015, 5:34 pm

I would recomend a belt sander with a course grade belt, that leaves the rim shiney metal but full of scratches for the adhesive to grip on to. Turn the tyre inside out & put it on the corner of your bench, with the belt sander just rough it up so that it looks dull. That should be fine for glueing then, there's no 'easy' way but the cable tie method is the least difficult!!
Steve Traill
Steve Traill

Number of posts : 800
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Fitting tyres Empty Re: Fitting tyres

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down