Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Whistles and things

4 posters

Go down

Whistles and things Empty Whistles and things

Post  Tim Watson Tue 24 Jun 2014, 9:52 am

I have fitted a large RA Barker whistle to 'Frederick' over the HP valve chest.  It is pretty disappointing in both sound level and speed of response, giving driver and steersmen a cool shower before finally emitting a fairly weak although pleasantly toned sound.  I wonder if the position over the starting valve might be a better place for it - would the steam be drier there and has anyone else fitted one of these whistles?  It probably needs tuning better, any of you whistle cognoscenti have any ideas?   I may wait until GDSF and let Bruce have a look at it, if I haven't sorted it by then; certainly looking at fitting a warning bell on the bunker as a bit more brass to polish.

Tim
Tim Watson
Tim Watson

Number of posts : 585
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

Whistles and things Empty Re: Whistles and things

Post  highpressure Tue 24 Jun 2014, 12:52 pm

I have the Polly four tone whistle on the original valve in the same place which is also wet and slow. I thought it might be the valve not being man enough. The siren on the other fitting is quite magnificent though. Of course the two bases dont have the same fitting to make a simple swap comparison easy and I dont have access to / cant be arsed to try and source something to sort out an adapter.  Shocked Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes 
highpressure
highpressure

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-06-18

http://www.simplydigitalaerials.com

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire Wed 25 Jun 2014, 1:29 pm

Tim

My big Lunkenheimer is on the opening above the starting valve and has no problem whatsoever regarding volume and not spraying water. The siren is on the opening above the HP valve and fills with water but I thought it was just down to a leaky valve. I cant imagine the steam being any drier in either location once the block is up to temperature. As per Kev's comments they are not easy to switch around due to different fitting threads etc. so have not tried it the other way. The standard whistles I have heard do sound pretty feeble but I thought that was just down to the size in general.

Cheers

Brian
bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Number of posts : 938
Registration date : 2010-09-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Brian M Wed 25 Jun 2014, 9:49 pm

Hi Tim,

I have a 6" whistle from Bruce and it did exactly the same, so it went back (which you may want to consider). The whistle is on the HP side, as I have a siren on the other. He has since 'repaired it' and it now works fine.

All the best,

Brian
Brian M
Brian M

Number of posts : 261
Registration date : 2011-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down