Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who is being affected by the floods/storms

+3
Robfishman
LiveSteam
bjwlancashire
7 posters

Go down

Who is being affected by the floods/storms Empty Who is being affected by the floods/storms

Post  bjwlancashire Mon 10 Feb 2014, 5:41 pm

With all the chaos down south I was hoping that our forum friends in the affected regions are surviving and not suffering to much in all this, especially any projects in the garages/sheds/wherever they might be along with the house contents that will no doubt be ruined should the flood waters breach the dams.

My thoughts are with anyone who is suffering right now in these terrible times.
bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Number of posts : 938
Registration date : 2010-09-07

Back to top Go down

Who is being affected by the floods/storms Empty Re: Who is being affected by the floods/storms

Post  LiveSteam Mon 10 Feb 2014, 7:00 pm

Have to agree, I live on the coast and very close to the sea and while many wonder why I do, I far prefer this than near a river.

While we have suffered a little, at least I know that it only really lasts for 30mins each side of high tide and then I get about 11hrs to re-group take stock.
With a river or flood plains it just keeps coming and you are never really sure when its going to go down, must be terrible.

LiveSteam

Number of posts : 777
Registration date : 2013-09-08

Back to top Go down

Who is being affected by the floods/storms Empty Re: Who is being affected by the floods/storms

Post  Robfishman Mon 10 Feb 2014, 9:08 pm

Again lucky here, we get water run across the garden and away to the Brook without much trouble. The workshop is built up out the ground by about 6" (same as the house) and we have not had any water in. Mind you all the neighbours were out in December clearing the channels down to the playing fields. Good job we did as if they backed up it would be a different storey.

Hope everyone else is ok, some areas round here are quite bad but Romsey is probably worst here for damage to homes and property.
Robfishman
Robfishman

Number of posts : 1061
Registration date : 2010-11-26

http://www.robertfish.net

Back to top Go down

Post  ChriX Mon 10 Feb 2014, 10:59 pm

Quite close to the water here; I live on the side of a valley (pretty much at the bottom, about 14M AMSL) so although a lot of water goes past on each side and the river floods at the bottom, we're OK. There has been a lot of water around but seems to be draining OK.
ChriX
ChriX

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2012-06-22

Back to top Go down

Post  mikero Tue 11 Feb 2014, 12:00 am

Living 160 metres up on the South Downs has its benefits, at least flooding is not a problem, but the wind has been something else. I can't remember Southerly winds being this cold or doing as much damage.

Mike
mikero
mikero

Number of posts : 261
Registration date : 2011-07-19

Back to top Go down

Who is being affected by the floods/storms Empty When will we see our first rally casulties??

Post  highpressure Fri 14 Feb 2014, 1:04 pm

I am fortunate that I dont live near any rivers and most roads etc that are local arent too bad although the constant closure of roads when running a mobile business that covers so much of flood hit areas is becoming tiresome and has an effect on business. But I am still accutely aware of how lucky I am to have lost nothing or have nothing in immediate danger.

However thinking back to the 2012 season when we had 6 months rain in April May June and July and with so much of the farmland and show sites under millions of gallons of water and with forecasters saying that it will take till June for areas to drain let alone actually dry out even if it stops now I am starting to think this years rally season will be affected, already I am wondering about the Basingstoke do in April ( which was bad last year with nothing like this much water ) and Fawley Hill in May having looked at three inches of standing water on my lawn today??
highpressure
highpressure

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-06-18

http://www.simplydigitalaerials.com

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire Fri 14 Feb 2014, 8:24 pm

Maybe STW should consider a Windermere steam launch for the next kit!!
bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Number of posts : 938
Registration date : 2010-09-07

Back to top Go down

Post  tractor mike Fri 14 Feb 2014, 10:40 pm

Hi everyone I really didn't think it was gonna get as bad as this with only living about 2 miles from burrowbridge the water just get worst, friends with cattle which was under water is something u can't explain, it's something u have to see to realise what is happening, Im just grateful I live a bit higher so hopefully I won't get it( fingers crossed), my engine is still dry at the moment  Very Happy 
tractor mike
tractor mike

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2012-01-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down