Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3D File available

5 posters

Go down

3D File available Empty 3D File available

Post  Steam Traction World Wed 09 Oct 2013, 9:39 am

Hi Guys

There’s been a couple of posts recently about some of 6” scale Foden customers using our 4 ½” scale eDrawings files. This is a bit dangerous because I haven’t used any of 4 ½” scale drawings in creating the 6” version. Our 6” version is a completely fresh design and is far more detailed than our 4 ½” scale one.

However, I can email you a 3D design file of our 6” scale ‘C’ Type. This is still very much a ‘work in progress’ but it’ll be much better than using the smaller scale version. The application software needed to open the file is available free from

www.edrawingsviewer.com

The facilities offered by the software are quite good. Although you can’t make any measurements you can look at individual components, rotate the model, zoom in to look at detail and do cross sections in all three planes.

I can’t provide a useful file for the SWB yet but the ‘C’ Type will still provide a lot of useful information. Please email me at steve@steamtractionworld.co.uk if you would like a copy of the file. It’s a 7meg file.

Regards

Steve

Steam Traction World
Admin

Number of posts : 946
Registration date : 2008-06-18

http://www.steamtractionworld.co.uk

Back to top Go down

3D File available Empty Re: 3D File available

Post  martinj Wed 09 Oct 2013, 5:52 pm

Thanks very much Steve.

Emailed Steve this morning and got the file by return. Downloaded the viewer and installed it (Windows 7) with no problems at all

This is a great resource, though finding my way around the viewer has been a bit trial and error - with an abundance of errors!

Started off with a nice general picture

3D File available Foden_10

You can spin it around in all sorts of directions to look at it from different angles though the logic of where to click and drag for what effect has eluded me so far.

I then had a look at the filler/vent issue on the tank and found that the position Steve suggested is well clear of the bed bearers and should be easily accessible.

3D File available Tank_i10

3D File available Tank_p10

3D File available Tank_e10

I then found, rather by chance, that it was possible to drag individual components away from the vehicle and also play around with cross sections.

3D File available Cylind10

This could keep me amused for hours!

Martin

martinj

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2010-11-29

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Wed 09 Oct 2013, 6:10 pm

Use the keyboard for view navigation. There is numerous shortcut keys.

A useful thing is select apart and right click and show as separate assembly.
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Hecter Wed 09 Oct 2013, 8:39 pm

where would i find the 4.5" version?

Hecter

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2013-02-13

Back to top Go down

Post  martinj Wed 09 Oct 2013, 8:49 pm

Thanks for that keyboard arrows tip Lynn - takes away the element of surprise - which way will it move next!

Tried the "New Part Document" option that seems to be the 2014 way of spelling "show as separate assembly". Wish it had an undo button though, tried removing a couple of things which didn't quite work as intended then ended up reloading the drawing to get them back and started again.

Martin

martinj

Back to top Go down

Post  martinj Wed 09 Oct 2013, 8:55 pm

Hecter

It is on the STW website in the Products section, 4.5" Foden C type.

linky

There is a big red badge near the bottom of the page

martinj

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Wed 09 Oct 2013, 10:09 pm

You can close just the part assembly to allow reselect. Can't remember the button but you can also see basically an index of all the part numbers. By selecting and hiding sections of the index tree allows you to see everything in one specific kit or sub assembly. I use to do it a lot with the showman.

Unfortunately my solidworks 2005 does not work with windows 7 and I can not currently merit the cost to replace. May actually make a new windows XP machine to allow me to reinstall it.
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman Wed 09 Oct 2013, 11:17 pm

I use the 3d drawings and they are very very useful. It's a shame we can't take measurements but I understand fully why this is protected.
Robfishman
Robfishman

Number of posts : 1061
Registration date : 2010-11-26

http://www.robertfish.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down