Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New to the 2" Clan

3 posters

Go down

New to the 2" Clan Empty New to the 2" Clan

Post  tabbycat1957 Sun 10 Mar 2013, 11:05 am

Greetings from Down Under Fellow 2" builders,
This is my first post, though I have been following with interest the forum for quite some months. After some time investigating STW's kits and checking out requirements for local boiler certification to the Australian Model Boiler code I signed up in November last. Thanks to Dean and Steve for assistance with relevant drawings and specs to keep the local club boiler inspector happy. Now a paid up club member too. I now have four kits (front and hind wheels and front axle/perch bracket). The smokebox etc should be here in the next day or so. Didn't fancy the glue on tyres and now have four wheels back with vulcanised tyres on them sitting on the workshop floor awaiting cleaning up - they look rather rusty after being in the autoclave for the vulcanising. Livery has been chosen - lining paint purchased and should be picking up main paint colour and primer etc this week. I have read Julia Old's book and I am sure it will get plenty of reference as the build progresses. I have done a little experimenting with cleaning up spokes and rims - scotchbrite belt on the linisher works nicely on spokes, while a wire cup wheel on the angle grinder combined with flap wheels etc seems good on the rims.
End of the week sees me on holidays for a couple of weeks Very Happy so I hope to make lots of progress on the Burrell, if I can get the clutch for the Myford lathe finished. No doubt I will need to refer from time to time to the collected wisdom of other Burrell builders on the forum - it's a great resource and a friendly crew. Already met up with two other Aussies - one building a 2" not far from my home in Brisbane, and the other building a 4" in Melbourne (other end of country). (Hi Chris and Rodd Smile ).
cheers
John
tabbycat1957
tabbycat1957

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2012-10-14

Back to top Go down

New to the 2" Clan Empty Re: New to the 2" Clan

Post  Tony King Sun 10 Mar 2013, 2:28 pm

Hello John,
Welcome to forum & well done for deciding to go for the build.
If you get time, put up lots of pictures of your progress, as there are not enough of anyone building a 2" Burrell.. It's such a brilliant little engine & should be better represented on the forum. It will generate interest from all STW builders not just the "2 mob Very Happy
Well done & enjoy the experience,
Regards,
Tony

Tony King

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-10-31

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Sun 10 Mar 2013, 3:24 pm

Welcome John.

Congratulations on starting a 2" build. Always remember. If in doubt ask! We don't bite.
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum