Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Clearance to fit the dynamo belt ( or lack of it)

5 posters

Go down

Clearance to fit the dynamo belt ( or lack of it) Empty Clearance to fit the dynamo belt ( or lack of it)

Post  bjwlancashire Sat 08 Sep 2012, 2:32 pm

This is for all the showmans engine builders out there, your beer tables may not be illuminated!!

Anyone seen and measured how small the clearance is between the flywheel boss and the rear wheel tyre? I was up on Ex-Mayor looking at the gear change mechanism while at Dorset in the rain and it was pointed out that the Burrell tyres have a cutaway in the tyre on the inside edge of the wheel for:

1) clearance to get the dynamo belt on and

2) give a little clearance between the 1st gear teeth and the tyre.

If the clearance on the LH side is not enough no one will be able to get the belt on. Something for Steve to consider for the next batch of wheels maybe.

Clearance to fit the dynamo belt ( or lack of it) Ex_may10

Clearance to fit the dynamo belt ( or lack of it) Ex_may11
Cheers

Brian
bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Number of posts : 938
Registration date : 2010-09-07

Back to top Go down

Clearance to fit the dynamo belt ( or lack of it) Empty Re: Clearance to fit the dynamo belt ( or lack of it)

Post  Robfishman Sat 08 Sep 2012, 5:37 pm

https://traction.forumotion.com/t1244-i-spy-with-my-little-eyethe-sample-flywheel#9914 ....and there was me commenting how pleased I was the flywheel fitted without needing to notch the rubber tyre previously.

Hadn't even considered that but where there is a will there is a way.
Robfishman
Robfishman

Number of posts : 1061
Registration date : 2010-11-26

http://www.robertfish.net

Back to top Go down

Clearance to fit the dynamo belt ( or lack of it) Empty Re: Clearance to fit the dynamo belt ( or lack of it)

Post  Tim Watson Sat 08 Sep 2012, 7:40 pm

Jointed belt. or other fixes are being pondered. The low wheel gear already clears the tyres on the off-side. Some engines do not have the outer boss on the flywheel painted as it will clearly be at risk of abrasion by a bit of e.g. Dorset mud on the tyre surface.

Tim
Tim Watson
Tim Watson

Number of posts : 585
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

Clearance to fit the dynamo belt ( or lack of it) Empty Limited clearance

Post  Steve Traill Sat 08 Sep 2012, 9:57 pm

The limited clearance was discussed at Dorset along with various options to overcome it. Steve is confident a solution will be found, be it a split belt or tweeking the flywheel/back wheel in/out a bit. For the Road Loco I can see the back wheels picking up the brown stuff & coating the flywheel & gears so I reckon a small wheel scraper screwed to the brakeblock just to clean the inside tyre would be beneficial. It would hardly be noticed and as the brake is released would then run close to the tyre. A lot of our rally fields in Cornwall have animals in them the week before the rally so you know what sort of brown stuff I mean!
Steve Traill
Steve Traill

Number of posts : 800
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Thu 13 Sep 2012, 9:03 am

Clearance to fit the dynamo belt ( or lack of it) D198F275-4D91-4C3D-9E9F-1BBD2078C2C7-5469-00001568109E1090
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down