Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Timing problems

4 posters

Go down

Timing  problems Empty Timing problems

Post  chop Tue 10 Apr 2012, 6:10 pm

Has anybody set there timing as i am having a lot of trouble getting my head around the instructions. Or may be i have it right. But when i look at the HP port in mid gear there seems no way for the steam to get into the cylinder is this right ?. And if i am reading the instructions right it says turn the crank a bit more and you should see the port opening mine appear to be closing. Could just be me but spent alot of time on this and not sure if it is right or wrong. Checked that i have the eccentrics on the right way round and the right rods connected to the right position on the expansion link all appears to be ok. So any help would be great. Cheers in advance mark
chop
chop

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2010-03-06

Back to top Go down

Timing  problems Empty Re: Timing problems

Post  highpressure Tue 10 Apr 2012, 6:27 pm

If you are in mid gear as in the reverser is in the middle of the quadrant then you should have no movement on the valve as the expension link will be in between top and bottom so neither of the eccentrics will have any effect on the valve. When you put the lever forward it will move the expansion link and cause the appropriate eccentric to then push and pull the valve rod in and out. And the opposite will happen when the reverser is pulled back and causes the other eccentirc to effect the valve. As the piston begins to move from either full back or full forward so the valve should begin to move opening the exhaust port, the inlet port is under the valve and so wont be seen, but the port that was exhausting the steam will now become an inlet port. I have probably made this sound as clear as mud now but I know what I meant to write.... Very Happy There must be a cartoon type video on the net to demonstrate the principal of steam valves and stephensons motion. I know I have it on a video somewhere probably Fred Dibnah.

Sleep on it, it may well be clearer then, alternatively ring Steve, I'm sure he be able to make sure its right.
highpressure
highpressure

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-06-18

http://www.simplydigitalaerials.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Graeme81 Tue 10 Apr 2012, 8:17 pm

may help some...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4xJsulRq2c
Graeme81
Graeme81

Number of posts : 178
Registration date : 2009-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman Tue 10 Apr 2012, 9:02 pm

Fred Dibnah clip I think you may be thinking of was when he explained the principle of the River Don Engine?

Robfishman
Robfishman

Number of posts : 1061
Registration date : 2010-11-26

http://www.robertfish.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down