Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

regulator valve

Go down

regulator valve Empty regulator valve

Post  Watts&Son Sun 18 Mar 2012, 8:24 pm

I have fitted the valves and pistons today, brilliant engineering. Went together wery well. I also fitted the regulator, in the notes Steve was unsure if it would work properly. My son and I used to run a full sized Fowler compound roller at the Great Dorset Steam Fair. The regulator was fierce to say the least, when the pressure was above 100psi it was two hands to crack the regulator open, in fact the regulator quadrant had broke in two during its working life, due to the stress of the stiffness of it. We bolted a 1/2" plate to strengthen it. You could not get it to tick over very slow, as it was all or nothing. It needed a rebore and new pistons, a local steam engineer was commissioned to do the work, in passing the regulator was mentioned and he said he could sort it out. The new valve had one valve on top of another, which eased the pressure on the main valve and what a difference it made to the Fowler, a lot more gentle on the regulator. As the working pressure is very similar to the road loco I am sure should it will work ok.
I would like to take this opportunity to thank all at Steam Traction World for making a well engineered, suberb model. Only got 2 kit in boxes to catch up, can't wait to get steaming. Regards to all, David Watts.

Watts&Son

Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2009-09-06

Back to top Go down